Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McGill Desautels vs UBC Sauder

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

McGill Desautels vs UBC Sauder [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 09:49
Dear friends,

Am new to gmatclub and wanted to discuss the subject item. Have admits from McGill Desautels (4500 CAD schol) and UBC Sauder (4000 CAD schol).

I've got to make a decision soon between the two and request your inputs. I am slightly oriented towards Sauder but am unable to take a final call. The 15month Sauder program is definitely going to be less expensive in comparison to Desautels' 20 month program.

My profile:
Work Ex: 4.5 yrs Oil & Gas (Marine) Construction, 3 yrs various international locations
Acads: Dual degree (B.Tech/M.Tech), very avg GMAT 660, GPA 3.3
EC's: average

I am interested in the Operations and Supply Chain Mgmt area and I intend to work in the Energy Industry post MBA.

Plz help!

Thanks
Karthik
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: McGill Desautels vs UBC Sauder [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 03:54
McGill is not known for its MBA but it's McGill at the end of the day. If branding is important for MBA then McGill has some weight in Canada. Further, I don't think there is anything to learn in school, you probably have learned more as a professional than you ever would in your MBA, it's more like networking and forming ties.

Don't know about UBC but they should be comparable to all other Canadian MBAs. After all, how big is canada how many good schools are there in Canada.........Rotman, Schulich, Queen's, Ivey, Sauders, Desautels, HEC.........I think you'll be fine if you get into any of these.

So it boils down to where you wanna live for a year or so. Vancouver has a nice weather and English-speaking. Montreal is cold, can be very trashy and speaks French most times.
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: McGill Desautels vs UBC Sauder [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 21:41
UBC is a massive school with plenty of resources.

Their business school is definitely the best in Canada west of Toronto.

McGill's reputation is floundering, especially Desautels. UBC is rising. McGill's tuition also took a heavy raise (I think it was something outrageous like $50K).

However, Montreal is much more of a centre than Vancouver. There's lots in Vancouver, but it's not the world city Montreal is. There are way more prospects coming out of McGill than UBC.

As far as programs go, UBC seems to be more "forward-focused" than McGill does.
Intern
Intern

Re: McGill Desautels vs UBC Sauder [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 23:08
About $30k. Quite steep for something that McGill is not good in. In fact, McGill is good for nothing except for its life sciences.

Montreal doesn't appear to be a centre, a world city. Especially when Boston and Toronto are nearby. Montreal seems more like a city to serve Quebec and Atlantic Canada's businesses. Not a big market IMO.
Re: McGill Desautels vs UBC Sauder   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2010, 23:08