Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McMaster part time MBA or Laurier part time MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: McMaster
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

McMaster part time MBA or Laurier part time MBA [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 07:19
Got admitted to both McMaster part time MBA and Laurier part time MBA at Waterloo campus.

I'm an international student. Starting from this July, I will be working in Canada. Job is Business Development.

Not sure which one should I pick. But I know below factors about each schools.

McMaster:
1. Ranked top 10 MBA schools in Canada.
2. 2002, FT ranked McMaster MBA in around 80th.
3. Hamilton is a fun town. This might be good for me since I want to integrate myself into Canadians and in future it will help me to live in Canada.
4. McMaster built RJC in Burlington. All MBA will be conducted there. Burlington is near Toronto. It might be a good advantage to develop your networks in business.
5. Tuition seems higher than Laurier'
6. I heard McMaster is better recognized by other areas in Canada and maybe even in America (my boss is an American, he said he only knows 4 Canadian MBA schools).
7. 2 years program (shorter than Laurier)

Laurier:
1. Ranked top 10 MBA schools in Canada as well. Similar to McMaster.
2. Reputable business school in Ontario. But I'm not sure if this is true in other places of Canada and other countries.
3. Small class and team oriented study model. It might be a fit for my personality (small groups).
4. Waterloo is further away from Toronto. I haven't been to there but it might not be as fun as Hamilton or Burlington.
5. I heard Accounting is great in Laurier but I don't think I will focus on Accounting job after MBA. I'm working in Business Development. However, I do like accounting such as CMA - it's interesting!!
6. Put math capability as an important requirements for MBA candidates. My thinking is that Laurier is good at Accounting and Finance.
7. McMaster is an engineering school. Some people say an engineering school is not good at business, and McMaster MBA is a joke in Canada.

I like finance/accounting but I don't think I can work in finance/accounting with a part time MBA. I also didn't planed to work in finance/accounting. My post MBA is also to be working in business development and start my own consulting companies in late future to give market development strategies/solutions etc.

I personally prefer McMaster since:
1. I heard a lot people like and want to go to study in McMaster.
2. Many people know this school even it is because its reputation as an engineering school.
3. Good location in Burlington. It's easy for me to travel from Brantford to Hamilton/Burlington.
4. I visited both McMaster website and I felt that I like the colors of the website and felt this school is more up to the world (just feeling based on how the website is designed and how it was built to attract people).
5. Laurier is more reputable in Ontario on I think.

Things make me still reluctant to go to McMaster are:
1. Some people say McMaster MBA is a joke... I couldn't find any data on internet such as MBA ranking in Canada etc. to support me to make the decision.
2. I don't want to make a mistake to go to McMaster and find out that Laurier is a better school to go.

Can people help to either provide more information about both schools reputation, aluminum, quality etc? Any suggestions based on my status on how should I choose the school?

Thank you!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: McMaster part time MBA or Laurier part time MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 14:10
McMaster, hands down! Don't pay attention to some of the blog nonsense some people type. Remember, anyone can write anything online. Pay more attention to more reliable sources like magazines, newspapers, university websites. When I was selecting schools I also went on websites of major companies and browsed through the profiles of their distinguished employees. I came across few DeGroote's graduates, while I have seen none Laurier grads. I can also tell you that McMaster is way more established university than Laurier.

p.s. which 4 Canadian schools did your boss knew?
Intern
Intern
Schools: McMaster

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: McMaster part time MBA or Laurier part time MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 21:06
tml2004 wrote:
McMaster, hands down! Don't pay attention to some of the blog nonsense some people type. Remember, anyone can write anything online. Pay more attention to more reliable sources like magazines, newspapers, university websites. When I was selecting schools I also went on websites of major companies and browsed through the profiles of their distinguished employees. I came across few DeGroote's graduates, while I have seen none Laurier grads. I can also tell you that McMaster is way more established university than Laurier.

p.s. which 4 Canadian schools did your boss knew?

Thanks tml2004. That's more reliable information to assess the 2 schools. Seems way easy to pick between the two.

The 4 Canadian schools my boss knew are: Queen's, UofT, McMaster and York. My boss used to work with a McMaster guy, and he is quite good.

Do you know which specializations are good in McMaster? What job areas MBA graduates will go mostly? Average salary post MBA? Thank you.

Anyone else could give me some more inputs?
Re: McMaster part time MBA or Laurier part time MBA   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2011, 21:06