Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 13:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Meaning of hope to ,hope for

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 311
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 46

What`s the difference between Hope to and hope for?what does [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 23:58
What`s the difference between Hope to and hope for?what does they mean?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 136
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Meaning of hope to ,hope for [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 00:09
Quote:
What`s the difference between Hope to and hope for?what does they mean?


either can be right
i hope to pass in my exams
we can hope for a surprise tomorrow

put the prep question if u saw it anywhere
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 311
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 46

Re: Meaning of hope to ,hope for [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 12:50
Many of the thousands of students currently enrolled in night courses hope for the exchanging of their drab jobs for new careers that are challenging

(A) for the exchanging of their drab jobs for new careers that are challenging
(B)for exchanging drab jobs for new careers that will challenge them.
(C)to exchange their drab jobs with new careers that will be new and challenging.
(D)to exchange their drab jobs for new and challenging careers.
(E)to exchanging their drab jobs and find careers that will be new and challenging.

I picked A but OA is D.Why A is wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 311
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 46

Re: Meaning of hope to ,hope for [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 10:47
mun23 wrote:
Many of the thousands of students currently enrolled in night courses hope for the exchanging of their drab jobs for new careers that are challenging

(A) for the exchanging of their drab jobs for new careers that are challenging
(B)for exchanging drab jobs for new careers that will challenge them.
(C)to exchange their drab jobs with new careers that will be new and challenging.
(D)to exchange their drab jobs for new and challenging careers.
(E)to exchanging their drab jobs and find careers that will be new and challenging.

I picked A but OA is D.Why A is wrong?



Need help in this question.Can anyone plz explain the every answer option?
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 462
Followers: 196

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 5

Re: Meaning of hope to ,hope for [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 05:37
Expert's post
mun23 wrote:
mun23 wrote:
Many of the thousands of students currently enrolled in night courses hope for the exchanging of their drab jobs for new careers that are challenging

(A) for the exchanging of their drab jobs for new careers that are challenging
(B)for exchanging drab jobs for new careers that will challenge them.
(C)to exchange their drab jobs with new careers that will be new and challenging.
(D)to exchange their drab jobs for new and challenging careers.
(E)to exchanging their drab jobs and find careers that will be new and challenging.

I picked A but OA is D.Why A is wrong?



Need help in this question.Can anyone plz explain the every answer option?


You hope to 'verb' and you hope for 'noun'. In this sentence, hope to exchanging (noun) is incorrect grammatically and the preferred construction is to hope to exchange (verb) rather than the awkward and lengthy hope for exchanging (noun).

Between C and D, I find no problem with exchange 'for' in D. C is less concise (and awkward) and inserts a tense change (will be) that is unnecessary. D is the answer.

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: HKUST '15 (S)
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: Meaning of hope to ,hope for [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 08:20
"Exchange A for B" is also a correct form to use. You can refer to any online dictionary to validate this.

OA is D.

C is eliminated because it is not concise - '....new careers that will be new...." is redundant.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: HKUST '15 (S)
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: Meaning of hope to ,hope for [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 09:50
rakeshd347 wrote:
jonnyhh wrote:
"Exchange A for B" is also a correct form to use. You can refer to any online dictionary to validate this.

OA is D.

C is eliminated because it is not concise - '....new careers that will be new...." is redundant.



I don't know which OA are you talking about here but I saw this question in KAPLAN question bank and according to them C is the correct answer.


My bad! Lets not call it "OA".... lets just call it "the answer". Since the explanation you stated for the OA is faulty - "'exchange for' is wrong!", I would go for D unless a Kaplan expert on this forum can prove otherwise.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 462
Followers: 196

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 5

Re: Meaning of hope to ,hope for [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 10:46
Expert's post
The OA on old questions can be tough because the GMAT changes over time. OAs on questions from test prep companies can be even less reliable because we are mimicking the GMAT as best we can, but we don't always get it right.

Let me say this, there is NO WAY the GMAT would have C be the correct answer 'today'. Exchange 'with' may be the technically correct idiom, but exchange 'for' is acceptable and there is virtually no meaning difference between the two forms, so that issue isn't one that the GMAT will be using for eliminations. The issues of redundancy and tense shift are solid issues that the GMAT would use to invalidate answer choice C.

For the most part, you can rely on the explanations from test prep companies. In this case, however, the OA does not represent how the GMAT will be testing you today.

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2014
Posts: 6
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Meaning of hope to ,hope for [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2014, 01:21
In addition to the "hope for + noun -- hope to + verb," advice, "hope for" is generally used to express a desire for something to happen while "hope to" is used to indicate that you intend to accomplish an action.

I hope for peace to finally reign.

I hope to increase profits this year.
I hope to score an 800 on the GMAT.
Re: Meaning of hope to ,hope for   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2014, 01:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 There is hope Cooper2248817 12 23 Feb 2009, 22:42
4 There is hope... AccBizMan 1 15 Jan 2008, 15:01
hope willget800 10 08 Mar 2007, 08:47
Experts publish their posts in the topic hbs hopeful mbk5w 3 20 Jan 2005, 10:45
Experts publish their posts in the topic HBS hopeful mbk5w 3 19 Jan 2005, 15:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Meaning of hope to ,hope for

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.