Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Measurements of the extent of amino-acid decomposition in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Measurements of the extent of amino-acid decomposition in [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 19:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Measurements of the extent of amino-acid decomposition in fragments of eggshell found at archaeological sites in such places as southern Africa can be used to obtain accurate dates for sites up to 200,000 years old. Because the decomposition is slower in cool climates, the technique can be used to obtain accurate dates for sites almost a million years old in cooler regions.
The information above provides the most support for which one of the following conclusions?
(A) The oldest archaeological sites are not in southern Africa, but rather in cooler regions of the world.
(B) The amino-acid decomposition that enables eggshells to be used in dating does not take place in other organic matter found at ancient archaeological sites.
(C) If the site being dated had been subject to large unsuspected climatic fluctuations during the time the eggshell has been at the site, application of the technique is less likely to yield accurate results.
(D) After 200,000 years in a cool climate, less than one-fifth of the amino acids in a fragment of eggshell that would provide material for dating with the technique will have decomposed and will thus no longer be suitable for examination by the technique.
(E) Fragments of eggshell are more likely to be found at ancient archaeological sites in warm regions of the world than at such sites in cooler regions.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

9. Advertisement: Clark brand-name parts are made for cars manufactured in this country. They satisfy all of our government automotive test—the toughest such tests in the world. With foreign-made parts, you never know which might be reliable and which are cheap look-alikes that are poorly constructed and liable to cost you hundreds of dollars in repairs. Therefore, be smart and insist on brand-name parts by Clark for your car.
The argument requires the assumption that
(A) Clark parts are available only in this country
(B) foreign-made parts are not suitable for cars manufactured in this country
(C) no foreign-made parts satisfy our government standards
(D) parts that satisfy our government standards are not as poorly constructed as cheap foreign-made parts
(E) if parts are made for cars manufactured in our country, they are not poorly constructed

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 18

Re: cr2 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 22:34
Got the first one wrong. I chose C :( But C is more of an inference and not a conclusion.
D is the correct choice as it encapsulates everything.

Got the second one right. C and D were close. I chose D because C kind of contradicts the stem. The stem says that some foreign parts 'might be reliable' and hence it is unfair to say that "NO foreign parts satisfy gov standards", as of course, the entire argument is based on gov standards so the author would check reliability on this criteria only:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

Re: cr2 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 00:39
Economist wrote:
Got the first one wrong. I chose C :( But C is more of an inference and not a conclusion.

Got the second one right. C and D were close. I chose D because C kind of contradicts the stem. The stem says that some foreign parts 'might be reliable' and hence it is unfair to say that "NO foreign parts satisfy gov standards", as of course, the entire argument is based on gov standards so the author would check reliability on this criteria only:)

Pls explain the rationale behind 'D' for the first question. The passage does not mention anything about the figure 1/5...so i'm not too sure about the OA.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 2

Re: cr2 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 07:09
I also chose C for the first one.

D) After 200,000 years in a cool climate, less than one-fifth of the amino acids in a fragment of eggshell that would provide material for dating with the technique will have decomposed and will thus no longer be suitable for examination by the technique

The only justification I can think of is that the conclusion is not referring to the eggshell as entirety but saying that the 1/5 of amino acids which decomposed will no longer be suitable for the technique. However the other 4/5 will still be able to be used. The 1/5 is coming from 200K/1M

On the second it came down to C and D as well.

(C) no foreign-made parts satisfy our government standards -not a required assumption as passage indicates foreign-made parts are either reliable or cheap. The reliable ones could satisfy our government standards while the cheap ones do not.

(D) parts that satisfy our government standards are not as poorly constructed as cheap foreign-made parts. This assumption must be made as without it the reliable and cheap parts could be just as good as Clark parts and therefore the argument becomes invalid
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 106

Re: cr2 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 07:22
Economist wrote:

I too got C(wrong as per OA) and D.
--(3:00)--

In first one, how can you conclude that decomposition is linear or proportional to no. of years. No such information is there?
Are you suggesting the decomposition in cool climate is about 1/5th of that in warm climate and is exactly linear? I am not really fan of this assumption.

I would rather conclude that the decomposition in warm climate after 40,000 years is similar to the decomposition in cool climate after 200,000 years. (this will even cover the variance of decomposition)

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 32

Re: cr2 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 18:26
sudeep wrote:
Economist wrote:

I too got C(wrong as per OA) and D.
--(3:00)--

In first one, how can you conclude that decomposition is linear or proportional to no. of years. No such information is there?
Are you suggesting the decomposition in cool climate is about 1/5th of that in warm climate and is exactly linear? I am not really fan of this assumption.

I would rather conclude that the decomposition in warm climate after 40,000 years is similar to the decomposition in cool climate after 200,000 years. (this will even cover the variance of decomposition)

I rate 'C' higher than 'D'. What is the source of this qu?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: cr2 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 06:37
Think of it this way. How did the researchers come up with the number "200,000 years"? One has to assume that experiments in the research lab would have shown the researchers a certain rate of decomposition of amino-acids under specific temperatures. Lets say, for example, the researchers found that 5% a.acid decomposes in 2 years at a temp. of 100 degrees and 1% decomposes in 2 years at a temp. of 0 degrees.
If the researchers now went to the archaeological site and examined the egg-shell and found that 15% of the a.acid had decomposed they would be only sure of the chronology if they assumed the temperatures were constant, whether hot or cold. If the temp was always 100 degrees, then they could tell the egg-shell is 6 years old. If the temp. was always 0 degrees, they could tell the egg-shell is 30 years old. What if the temp. fluctuated? The 15% decomposition could have been achieved with a combination of 5+5+1+1+1+1+1 (14 years)or 5+5+5 (6 years) or 1+1+.......(30 years). We wouldn't know!
So, the choice C seems correct because with temp. fluctuations, the accuracy of prediction is lost.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: cr2 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 16:59
This is a LSAT question from 1000 CR.

My 1000 CR document says OA is C.

Check this site, which I found on google books. It has the official explanations for quite a few LSAT questions in the 1000 CR document. I believe this resource is free, else it would not appear on google books. If this is not a free resource, moderators please remove it from here.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wOcvY_ ... or&f=false
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 48

Re: cr2 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 00:49
Please Post the OA
i strongly feel it is C
Re: cr2   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2009, 00:49