Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2729 [0]
Send PM
Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the [#permalink]
Is it B ?

definitely not C,D,E. I am torn between A and B. But isn't A too direct ? Am I thinking too much ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
The passage says rhinos are "near extinction".
I'll go with (A).

Nothings has been told about mating pattern in the passage.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Send PM
The OA is B. (I chose A as well - this question irritated me. For a reader, I believe B is definitely is harder to infer than A)

Here's the OE from MGMAT -

The correct answer to this question will be a claim that must follow from text contained in the passage. This question does not provide any clues as to where the justifying text will be found.

(A) The first paragraph mentions that the the Javan rhino is the most endangered species of large mammal. However, it does not have to be true that it is one of the most endangered animals, a category that is far broader than mammals.

(B) CORRECT. The first paragraph states that very little is known about the life of the Javan rhino. The passage does indicate, however, that scientists have been able to extract information on the species’ DNA from gathered dung. The paragraph also suggests that very little information about female Javan rhinos has been gained, given that scientists only recently discovered whether or not females of the species even have horns. Thus, one can infer that more is known about the genetics of the Javan rhino than its mating patterns.

(C) The second paragraph indicates that hunters slaughtered many rhinos, but it does not mention where. Furthermore, it does not have to be true that more rhinos were killed in Vietnam simply because fewer rhinos remain there.

(D) The passage only discusses the Javan rhino; therefore, a generalization about the extinction of "most animals" is not supported by the passage.

(E) The passage does not mention other survival factors for a species or rank them; therefore, this inference is not supported by the passage.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2729 [0]
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
Very little is known about Javan rhinos because they lead secretive and solitary lives in remote jungles. Until recently, scientists debated whether females even have horns, and most scientific work has had to rely on DNA garnered from dung.
b. More is known about the genetics of the Javan rhino than is known about its mating patterns.

If you read the lines in red we can infer "More is known about DNA/genetics of the Javan rhino than is known about ANYTHING ELSE RELATED TO JAVAN RHINO".

Choice B just substitutes "ANYTHING ELSE RELATED TO JAVAN RHINO" with "its mating patterns".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
I picked (A) as well.
According to me B is a stretch and is lame.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Send PM
Hehe. Couldn't have put it better :-)

leonidas wrote:
I picked (A) as well.
According to me B is a stretch and is lame.

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts