Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [7] , given: 6

Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoceros is often called the rarest large mammal on earth. None exist in zoos. Like the Indian rhino, the Javan has only one horn; African and Sumatran rhinos have two. While the Javan rhino habitat once extended across southern Asia, now there are fewer than one hundred of the animals in Indonesia and under a dozen in Vietnam. Very little is known about Javan rhinos because they lead secretive and solitary lives in remote jungles. Until recently, scientists debated whether females even have horns, and most scientific work has had to rely on DNA garnered from dung. The near extinction of the Javan rhino is the direct result of human actions. For centuries, farmers, who favored the same habitat, viewed them as crop eating pests and shot them on sight. During the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands. Now, human efforts to save them may well prove futile. The Vietnamese herd is probably doomed, as too few remain to maintain the necessary genetic variation. Rhinos from Java cannot supplement the Vietnamese numbers because in the millions of years since Indonesia separated from the mainland, the two groups have evolved into separate sub-species. In Indonesia, the rhinos are protected on the Ujung Kulon peninsula, which is unsettled by humans, and still have sufficient genetic diversity to have a chance at survival. Ironically, however, the lack of human disturbance allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation the animals prefer. Thus, human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.
1. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

A. Javan rhinos are one of the most endangered animals on the planet.
B. More is known about the genetics of the Javan rhino than is known about its mating patterns.
C. Hunters killed more Javan rhinos in Vietnam than in Indonesia.
D. Most animal extinctions are the result of human actions.
E. Genetic diversity is the most important factor for the survival of a species.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

2. The author’s attitude toward current human efforts to save the Javan rhino can best be described as

A. optimistic and worthwhile
B. pointless and doomed
C. idealistic but profitable
D. problematic and ironic
E. confused but heroic

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

3. The author mentions that the Javan rhino has only one horn in order to do which of the following?

A. explain why it is closer to extinction than the African rhino
B. contrast it to the number of horns that the Indian rhino has
C. demonstrate its evolution into a separate sub-species
D. describe the features of the animal
E. contrast it to the number of horns that females have

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

4. The purpose of the first paragraph is to

A. discuss the different types of rhinoceroses that populate the world
B. describe the ways in which human actions have brought the Javan rhino close to extinction
C. outline the few known facts about the Javan rhino
D. discuss the steps taken to save the Javan rhino
E. highlight the differences between the sub-species of Javan rhinos in Vietnam and Indonesia

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

5. According to the passage, which of the following best explains why the number of Javan rhinos in Vietnam cannot be increased by additions from those in the Ujung Kulon peninsula?

A. The Indonesian Javan rhinos constitute a separate sub-species.
B. The Javan rhinos cannot swim to Vietnam and have no land route available.
C. Neither Vietnam nor Indonesia has the funds for such a project.
D. Javan rhinos in the Ujung Kulon peninsula are almost impossible to capture.
E. Terrorist activity in Indonesia has made such a project too dangerous to attempt.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

6. The author states that which of the following was most responsible for the near extinction of the Javan rhino?

A. farmers shooting them on sight
B. the separation of Indonesia from the mainland
C. hunters slaughtering thousands
D. current human efforts to save them
E. the cumulative effect of many past human activities

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Mar 2014, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
Formatting.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3415

Kudos [?]: 25000 [1] , given: 2699

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 02:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 07:52
i made one mistake. question 4, i thought it was B.
what is the most suitable timing. max and min pls.

thank you in advance
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 19:39
I got all of them right except Q6. I feel the answer for Q6. should be E not A as from passage - The near extinction of the Javan rhino is the direct result of human actions. For centuries, farmers, who favored the same habitat, viewed them as crop eating pests and shot them on sight. During the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands. , we can infer that no two events could be concluded with certainty as most responsible for near extinction. Instead, the cumulative human actions of the past are most responsible for near extinctions of human.

Please post OE if anyone has. Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2014, 11:58
mba1382 wrote:
I got all of them right except Q6. I feel the answer for Q6. should be E not A as from passage - The near extinction of the Javan rhino is the direct result of human actions. For centuries, farmers, who favored the same habitat, viewed them as crop eating pests and shot them on sight. During the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands. , we can infer that no two events could be concluded with certainty as most responsible for near extinction. Instead, the cumulative human actions of the past are most responsible for near extinctions of human.

Please post OE if anyone has. Thanks.

I too opted for E. Could an expert please help explain why A is better than E?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [2] , given: 29

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2014, 16:02
This post received
KUDOS
Experts,

How can you infer "B" for Q1?

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 23:56
need some expert to weigh in for question 2.

Refer to below sentences in the passage.
Now, human efforts to save them may well prove futile. The Vietnamese herd is probably doomed, as too few remain to maintain the necessary genetic variation.
futile does mean pointless, but than cant justify the human effort as doomed. The herd is doomed but not human effort

then referring to below lines :

In Indonesia, the rhinos are protected on the Ujung Kulon peninsula, which is unsettled by humans, and still have sufficient genetic diversity to have a chance at survival. Ironically, however, the lack of human disturbance allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation the animals prefer

We can conclude the human effort is ironic, but how can we deduce that its problematic??

Any thoughts?

Same for Question 6. Shouldnt it be E instead?

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 23:59
Mountain14 wrote:
Experts,

How can you infer "B" for Q1?

i think its from the below lines

Very little is known about Javan rhinos because they lead secretive and solitary lives in remote jungles. Until recently, scientists debated whether females even have horns, and most scientific work has had to rely on DNA garnered from dung

It says most scientific work had to rely on DNA from Dung. So probably they have more info on genes than mating patterns. However it requires us to assume something.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 22:40
This post received
KUDOS
Why is option A wrong for Q1?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3.25
WE: Brand Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 500

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 02:32
Is it me or does anyone else think that these answers are complete bonkers?
He mentions the horn of a Javan Rhino and contrasts it with the horns of its Sumatran neighbours to give us a physical description? That can't be the reason. It is to show how these Rhinos have evolved into their own sub species (growing a single horn).
I suppose answers to a couple more questions are laughable too!
Can we have someone from Manhattan drop in and say word on the correct answers, please? Can't find any on the web!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 04:13
i have some doubts in the above answers, can anybody please solve them ?
in Q2 answers is D, but i think it should be B as futile means pointless and that is exactly given in B.
in Q3 is the answer seriously D. describe the features of the animal?
in Q6 how can the answer be A? i mean there is no data given on which we could conclude that ?

i can still somehow understand why Q3 would be correct as other options are false, but still need help with 2 & 6

thank you :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 07:25
adymehta29 wrote:
i have some doubts in the above answers, can anybody please solve them ?
in Q2 answers is D, but i think it should be B as futile means pointless and that is exactly given in B.
in Q3 is the answer seriously D. describe the features of the animal?
in Q6 how can the answer be A? i mean there is no data given on which we could conclude that ?

i can still somehow understand why Q3 would be correct as other options are false, but still need help with 2 & 6

thank you :)

for 2 : In Indonesia, the rhinos are protected on the Ujung Kulon peninsula, which is unsettled by humans, and still have sufficient genetic diversity to have a chance at survival. Ironically, however, the lack of human disturbance allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation the animals prefer.

lack of human disturbance is good for rhinos but it is unsettled by human. thats why only D fits :)

for 6: farmers killed rhinos for centuries but hunter killed merely thousand. so farmers should be most responsible . thats why A :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT Date: 07-14-2014
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 25

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 11:12
Very weird OAs..
I hope i don't get to see such a passage on my real test...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 53

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 08:16
Anyone see why Q6 is A and not E but the OA?
Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2014, 08:16