Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Median of a set containing unknown values?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Median of a set containing unknown values? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 11:28
Hi,

I was reading mgmat quant statistics chapter wherein i am not able to understand the median of an unknown value type. can somebody please tell how to go about in these set of questions?

anuj
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 197
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Median of a set containing unknown values? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 21:24
Expert's post
anu1706 wrote:
Hi,

I was reading mgmat quant statistics chapter wherein i am not able to understand the median of an unknown value type. can somebody please tell how to go about in these set of questions?

anuj



Anuj:

More than happy to help out -- the thing that is unique about medians is that you often don't need to know all of the numbers in a set to still figure out what the median is. For example, if I gave you this set of numbers (x, 4, 5, 7, 7, 9, 11) and you are told that they are all integers -- no matter what 'x' is -- the median is still 7. If x is 0, median is 7. If x is 100, median is 7. if x is 7.. guess what.. median is 7!!

Does that answer your question?

-Brian
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Median of a set containing unknown values? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 01:27
brianlange77 wrote:
anu1706 wrote:
Hi,

I was reading mgmat quant statistics chapter wherein i am not able to understand the median of an unknown value type. can somebody please tell how to go about in these set of questions?

anuj



Anuj:

More than happy to help out -- the thing that is unique about medians is that you often don't need to know all of the numbers in a set to still figure out what the median is. For example, if I gave you this set of numbers (x, 4, 5, 7, 7, 9, 11) and you are told that they are all integers -- no matter what 'x' is -- the median is still 7. If x is 0, median is 7. If x is 100, median is 7. if x is 7.. guess what.. median is 7!!

Does that answer your question?

-Brian


Sorry but that not precisely my question was!! i can understand median is middle number in odd and avg. of 2 middle in even set of data points.
What I want to ask is how unknown value will effect the median of a set..Please explain what this means.:

Extract from manhattan "Consider the unordered set {x, 2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33}. No matter whether x is less than 11,
equal to 11, or greater than 11, the median of the resulting set will be 11. Why?
By contrast, the median of the unordered set {x, 2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33} depends on x. If x is 11 or less, the
median is 11. If x is between 11 and 12, the median is x. Finally, if x is 12 or more, the median is 12. Explain!..
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4778
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1118

Kudos [?]: 5072 [2] , given: 164

Re: Median of a set containing unknown values? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 23:10
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
anu1706 wrote:
Extract from manhattan "Consider the unordered set {x, 2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33}. No matter whether x is less than 11,
equal to 11, or greater than 11, the median of the resulting set will be 11. Why?
By contrast, the median of the unordered set {x, 2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33} depends on x. If x is 11 or less, the
median is 11. If x is between 11 and 12, the median is x. Finally, if x is 12 or more, the median is 12. Explain!..



Notice how the two given sets are different. Ignoring x from the sets, the first set has two 11s in the middle (3rd and 4th terms) while the second one has an 11 and a 12 in the middle.

Consider {2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33}
We need to add a term 'x' in this set and then find out the median. x can take any value and to find the median, we will put x in the set such that all terms are in ascending order. The middle term (fourth term) of this set will be the median.
Depending on the value of x, several scenarios are possible. Let's give some values to x and see the various scenarios.
x = 1; {1, 2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33} (median 11)
x = 3; {2, 3, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33} (median 11)
x = 9; {2, 5, 9, 11, 11, 12, 33} (median 11)
x = 11; {2, 5, 11, 11, 11, 12, 33} (the only way x can be in the middle of the two 11s is if it is 11 too.
x = 12; {2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 12, 33} (median 11)
x = 25; {2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 25, 33} (median 11)
x = 50; {2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33, 50} (median 11)

Fourth term will be the median. The only time the fourth term (middle term) will be x will be when x is 11. Hence, whatever the case, the median will always be 11.

Consider {2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33}
Again, depending on the value of x, several scenarios are possible. Let's give some values to x and see the various scenarios.
{1, 2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33} (median 11)
{2, 3, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33} (median 11)
{2, 5, 9, 11, 12, 12, 33} (median 11)
{2, 5, 11, 11.2, 12, 12, 33} (if x is in the middle of 11 and 12, it can take many values such as 11.2/11.7 etc and that will be the median)
{2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 12, 33} (median 12)
{2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 25, 33} (median 12)
{2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33, 50} (median 12)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Median of a set containing unknown values? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 23:50
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
anu1706 wrote:
Extract from manhattan "Consider the unordered set {x, 2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33}. No matter whether x is less than 11,
equal to 11, or greater than 11, the median of the resulting set will be 11. Why?
By contrast, the median of the unordered set {x, 2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33} depends on x. If x is 11 or less, the
median is 11. If x is between 11 and 12, the median is x. Finally, if x is 12 or more, the median is 12. Explain!..



Notice how the two given sets are different. Ignoring x from the sets, the first set has two 11s in the middle (3rd and 4th terms) while the second one has an 11 and a 12 in the middle.

Consider {2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33}
We need to add a term 'x' in this set and then find out the median. x can take any value and to find the median, we will put x in the set such that all terms are in ascending order. The middle term (fourth term) of this set will be the median.
Depending on the value of x, several scenarios are possible. Let's give some values to x and see the various scenarios.
x = 1; {1, 2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33} (median 11)
x = 3; {2, 3, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33} (median 11)
x = 9; {2, 5, 9, 11, 11, 12, 33} (median 11)
x = 11; {2, 5, 11, 11, 11, 12, 33} (the only way x can be in the middle of the two 11s is if it is 11 too.
x = 12; {2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 12, 33} (median 11)
x = 25; {2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 25, 33} (median 11)
x = 50; {2, 5, 11, 11, 12, 33, 50} (median 11)

Fourth term will be the median. The only time the fourth term (middle term) will be x will be when x is 11. Hence, whatever the case, the median will always be 11.

Consider {2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33}
Again, depending on the value of x, several scenarios are possible. Let's give some values to x and see the various scenarios.
{1, 2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33} (median 11)
{2, 3, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33} (median 11)
{2, 5, 9, 11, 12, 12, 33} (median 11)
{2, 5, 11, 11.2, 12, 12, 33} (if x is in the middle of 11 and 12, it can take many values such as 11.2/11.7 etc and that will be the median)
{2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 12, 33} (median 12)
{2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 25, 33} (median 12)
{2, 5, 11, 12, 12, 33, 50} (median 12)


Thanks for the insight. can you please help in cementing the concept with the help of a official question please.
Re: Median of a set containing unknown values?   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2014, 23:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
What is the median value of the set R, if for every term in hsbinfy 0 08 Jul 2013, 05:48
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the median value of the set R, if for every term in rochak22 15 07 May 2013, 04:27
9 Experts publish their posts in the topic Set S contains seven distinct integers. The median of set S Orange08 5 19 Sep 2010, 11:37
Set D contains 88 different positive integers. Is the median kevincan 1 09 Jul 2006, 01:58
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic The median value of a set of 9 positive integers is 6. If anirban16 19 24 Feb 2005, 17:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Median of a set containing unknown values?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.