Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Medical education in the United States has focused almost

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 17:34
IMO B

A kudos would greatly help :)

Tuhin

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 06:27
Conclusion : Medical schools should invest more time in teaching to prevent illness

to strenghten we should identify the answer choice which will support the above conclusion
(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.
if many diseases can be prevented by vaccines then educating students about vaccines will prevent illness this choice strengthens the argument so hold
(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment. irrelevant facts doesn't strengthen the argument
(C) The number of students enrolled in medical school is the highest it has ever been.
irrelevant fact
(D) More people die each year from disease than from accidental causes.
curative medicine will be used to cure disease so doesn't strenghten the argument
(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace.
out of scope

so A is the correct answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 11:10
FN wrote:
I disagree with the OA..but lets see if i am the only one reading it wrong!

Medical education in the United States has focused almost exclusively on curative medicine, while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided. Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment.
(C) The number of students enrolled in medical school is the highest it has ever been.
(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace.
Clearly B is out because argument is not about money its about teaching effort. C and D are out of scope. D is very neutral .. people can die because disease could not be prevented or could not be cured. A says there are many disease which can be prevented and US can prevent it. So A is the answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

Cheers,
SD

Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 13:13
I'd go with A as well, but I find this to be a rather "weak" correct answer

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 13:58
Answer is A.

Can't be B at all since you n't justify the answer based on just 1 year of expenditures.
Hence B eliminated.

C, D & E are irrelevant.

I believe that the sentence - 'This is misguided' is most important here. Since the belief that curative medicine is been given preference over preventive care has been misguided.
This is misguided because, there are vaccines that can prevent the diseases. Last sentence of the argument seems irrelevant with the argument.

So I believe the answer to be A.

Please let me know if my explanation & answer is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 20:11
I think by mentioning year in option B, paper setter spoils B as a strong contender. Its a good question
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 21:22
These questions can be so tricky.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 01:13
Option B

Thoughts:

The author wishes to state in the conclusion that priority is given to curing a disease , rather than preventing it
( By medical Schools )

Though not a very good one, Option B provides evidence to support the authors claim .. that prevention is not given the given priority ( Low spending as a proof )

" Vaccines " and " Contagious diseases " are all getting very specific and supports the cause for prevention.
But it does not support the conclusion that not much importance is being given.
Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 01:26
I was quite surprise to see this question here becuase I use to see here few really difficult questions. Why this simple question has been posted here, but it may be because of my knowledge of biology. Anyway, answer is (A) because vaccine will be considered as preventive medicine since it is given before disease happens as a preventive measure and not as a curative measure. So, it strenghten the author conclusion that preventive medicine should be encouraged.

Cheers!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 09:32
Vaccines are given as preventive care and by giving more vaccines, more diseases can be prevented. So, A strengthens the argument.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: CR-Medical Education [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 14:46
FN wrote:
Medical education in the United States has focused almost exclusively on curative medicine, while preventive care has been given scant attention. This is misguided. Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it.

**Looking at the stem we need to find the conclusion and strengthen it. Conclusion: Medical schools should invest as much time in teaching their students how to prevent illness as in teaching them how to cure it.**

-->sounds good for now, keep
(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment.
-->not bad either, keep
-->irrelevant, eliminate
-->this may be true but it is irrelevant...and very broad
-->irrelevant to the scope

**Now we have A & B left. B is restating a fact we already know. There is more emphasis put on curative medicine than preventive medicine. We know that and I suppose it strengthens this argument some. Let's look at A, if vaccines prevent diseases and this fact is taken to be true than if students learned about vaccines they might be more inclined to use preventive measures as opposed to curative practices.**

Honestly, I was able to get this question right because I was able to mark out C,D, and E. Then my gut steered me towards A. However, I have examined the reasoning for this question and I think I have it down now.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.54

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 23

Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 07:11
Choice B is the best. Choice A is irrelevant since the argument is concerned with the focus of Medical education on curative more than preventive medicines. Choice A tells us that many diseases can be cured through vaccination, which is indeed a preventive cure, but it tells us nothing about the focus of medical knowledge. Moreover, the argument addresses a situation which has started in the past and most likely continues into the present (use of present perfect); it needs some supportive evidence from the past, which choice B offers by stating that 97% of monies invested in 1988 focused on finding new cures, and not on finding for example new vaccines or any preventive measures.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 11:13
+1 A
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 06:37
FN wrote:

based on the conclusion : Med school to invest equal time on teaching student both preventive care as well as curative medicine, I narrowed down my answer to A and E.

b weaken the argument
c is out of scope as it doesn't relate with conclusion
d is crossed out on the basis tht though more people die out of disease, care could would more curative or preventive, thus it doesn't support the conclusion tht equal time shuld be given to two specialties.

finally out of a and e, e is crossed out on similar line as D, it doesn't specify whether curative or preventive specialties are lesser in number. hence a is only option left.

A says many contagious disease can be prevented with vaccine. hence we could assume tht preventive specialties would be required. hence stress and time should be given on preventive medicine as part of med education.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 06:40

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines. Contender. Clear link with why preventive medicene study is equally important.
(B) In 1988, for every three cents the United States spent on prevention, it spent 97 cents on curative treatment. Incorrect. We know that preventive medicene is not getting attention. Doesnt answer -"why preventive medicene study is equally important. "
(C) The number of students enrolled in medical school is the highest it has ever been. Incorrect. So what if its even lower or lowest. Doesnt answer -"why preventive medicene study is equally important. "
(D) More people die each year from disease than from accidental causes. Interesting. Incorrect. (was a contender initially but eleiminated in the final answer choice) But could these diseases have been prevented? We are not sure from this statement.
(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace. Incorrect. Doesnt answer -"why preventive medicene study is equally important. "
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 21:39
Will Go with A.

Conclusion: More time should be given to teach preventive techniques. A presents the reason to do that.
Finances and historical stats are insignificant here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 75

Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 11:17
FN wrote:

A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines.This is an assumption. If negated this implies no need to teach preventive medicines.
Assumption ---> Hidden premise ---> Strengthener

B is close. But it only states about a fact in 1988.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 291

Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 02:43
Why is it a debatable OA? The argument clearly talks abt paying equal attention to prevention. A clearly presents a fact to strengthen the argument? What else are you guys looking for?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 24

Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 07:08
This is a very poorly designed question. This is miles away from GMAT standards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 42

Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 09:55
i thought this is a practical question......
IMO---- competition between "A" and" E"........"A" IS THE WINNER..............

(E) As the population grows, the number of doctors in certain specialties has not been keeping pace..... AIM OF ANY SOCIETY IS TO FULFILL A TASK WITH MINIMUM RESOURCES....IF WE COULD HANDLE A SITUATION WITH PREVENTION AND LESS DOCTORS ....WHY SHOULD WE WAIT FOR REDUCTION IN INFLATED DOCTOR NUMBERS TO RESORT TO THE ECONOMICAL METHOD THAT IS PREVENTION....I MEAN WE SHOULD NOT WAIT TO RESORT TO A BETTER METHOD AS A REMEDIAL MEASURE BUT RATHER HAVE IT AT FIRST PLACE....

(A) Many contagious diseases can be prevented with vaccines......PRACTICAL METHOD TO PREVENT DISEASES AND ECONOMIZE ON THE HUGE EXPENDITURE ON EPIDEMIC LATER...
Re: Medical education in the United States has focused almost   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2014, 09:55