Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 11:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 09:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:16) correct 33% (01:13) wrong based on 110 sessions
Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical form of diabetes also have a disproportionately high rate of virus V infection. They concluded that virus V triggers the mutation of classic diabetes into its atypical form.
The researchers’ conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A)The longer the length of time an individual is infected with virus V, the greater the risk that individual will develop atypical diabetes.
(B)Atypical diabetes is a symptom of virus V.
(C)Individuals not infected with virus V cannot develop atypical diabetes.
(D)Atypical diabetes does not predispose people to infection from virus V.
(E)Specialized treatment for virus V infection will be more effective than the standard course of virus V treatment for people with atypical diabetes.

The OA is D. However, according to the GMAT Critical Reasoing Bible, when a GMAT speaker concludes that one ocurance caused another, that speaker also assumes that the stated cause is the only possible cause of the effect. Therefore, C should be correct as well. SO WHO IS RIGHT?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 14:50
C is incorrect because we are just concerened with people who are infected not people who are not. D is the answer because it is another way of saying that diabetes doesnt cause the infections.
hope this helps :) feel free to ask

Sky is the limit

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 19:44
Between C and D. Choice D as the guy above said. Atypical diabetes does not cause the virus V. This is kind of defender assumption. About choice C, let's try to negate it.

It is not true that Individuals not infected with virus V cannot develop atypical diabetes =>> not affect to the main conclusion of the argument " virus V triggers the mutation of classic diabetes into its atypical form."

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 20:29
I've noticed a pattern in such assumption questions.

Premise states: A causes B.

Assumption is B didn't cause A. In all the OG questions I've seen, B didn't Cause A has been the right answer in such questions.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 21:32
+1 for D.

Crick
Intern
Intern

Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 23:16
The author here concludes that virus V causes atypical diabetes. Therefore, he assumes that virus V is the only cause of atypical diabetes (according to The GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible). So people not infected with virus V cannot develop atypical diabetes and therefore answer C is also correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 00:26
well the conclusion here is that virus V triggers atypical diabetes. so the assumption must be diabetes cannot trigger the virus.

+1 for D

(but, originally went for C)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 09:36
After a long debate went for C. But clearly understand that it is D.

Good insight for me. +1 D

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 14:49
I think D

Sky is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 14:50
I think D

Sky is the limit

Intern
Intern

Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 14:31
After trying to get my head around why C is not correct I think I finally got it. Answer C says "Individuals not infected with virus V cannot develop atypical diabetes" whereas the stimilus says "Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical form of diabetes " the keyword here is "an" which indicates that this is one of many atypical form of diabetes. C refers to all forms of atypical diabetes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 21:18
I think d 2- c is a trap
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 21:36
Had i not studied from CR Bible I would've definitely gone for D.....but now I am equally attracted by C.....idk...my CR skills seem to have become more shaky than before......

Please someone explain why C isnt corect according to Powerscore CR bible's methodology.....none of the above explanations convince me..... :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 00:31
The answer choice C doesn't states any alternate cause. How do you it states an alternate cause ? The correct answer is D.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 65

Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 11:11
This is classic cause and effect.

People with V----> diabetics.

So the author is assuming that people with diabetics don't have V.

These things are easy to spot on here, but on the exam, everything goes outside the window :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 10

Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 15:27
Easy to pick C but here is why it is wrong. The argument says "a dispropotionately large number". It doesnt say all people who have atypical diabetes have Virus V. So that rules out C straight away because C suggests that all people who have atypical diabetes have virus V. Now we are just looking to establish that the atypical diabetes does not cause Virus V, it is supposed to be the other way around. Hence the only option that supports that is D.

Hence D.

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
(C)Individuals not infected with virus V cannot develop atypical diabetes.
(D)Atypical diabetes does not predispose people to infection from virus V.

Two choices I narrowed down to were these.

I tried negating to see which one would affect the argument that Virus led to Atypical diabetes.

C) WHEN NEGATED --> Individuals not infected with virus V can develop atypical diabetes. (Doesn't seem to weaken argument) NOTE: Here one can go wrong if he or she replaces the not infected part. Not infected is not a restricter in the argument and is definitely not the main action in the sentence. Not infected is only a subset, so if you wrongly NEGATED the not infected part then you WILL be confused and you will find it difficult to narrow down further.

D) WHEN NEGATED --> Atypical diabetes predisposes people to infection from virus V. (WEAKENS ARGUMENT because it gives an alternate reason by reversing the causal)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 21:22
D is correct BUT what is wrong with C. CR bible says

a) eliminate any alternate cause for stated effect (WHICH IS C)
b) show that "EFFECT" does not cause "CAUSE" (WHICH IS D)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 21:22
D is correct BUT what is wrong with C. CR bible says

a) eliminate any alternate cause for stated effect (WHICH IS C)
b) show that "EFFECT" does not cause "CAUSE" (WHICH IS D)
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 08:47
option D is correct . Eliminate the alternate model of causation.
Re: Medical researchers discovered that people with an atypical   [#permalink] 30 May 2013, 08:47