Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Medicare, the United States government's health insurance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 188 [1] , given: 18

Medicare, the United States government's health insurance [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 08:21
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:48) correct 34% (00:54) wrong based on 65 sessions
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of
home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
C. but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.
D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 18

Re: GWD #17 V21 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 08:40
I am the one who posted this question.

I picked b.
My reasoning was like this.
Medicare covers the full cost of home health care but doesn't cover the full cost of other nonhospital services.
In other words, medicare doesn't cover all of medical expenses, so beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.

What's wrong with my understanding?

Also, I have a question regarding what "the costs", which are at the end of the sentence in the choice C, refer to.
Do they refer to the full cost of both home health care and other nonhospital services?
(If they do, I guess my understanding above can be correct.)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: GWD #17 V21 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 08:50
Can Anyone please give a good explanation .
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [5] , given: 185

Re: GWD #17 V21 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

Let us first understand the meaning of the sentence. Medicare is the US government’s health insurance program for the elderly and disabled. Medicare covers the full cost of home health care. However, it does not cover the cost of nonhospital services. Now, nonhospital services are services for which beneficiaries are required to pay 20% of the total cost.

Error Analysis:

1. Use of “with” violates the parallelism in the sentence. The two entities in the list should be “the full cost of home health care” and “(the full cost) of other nonhospital services”.
2. Relative pronoun “where” is used to modify places. Use of “where” to talk about a service is incorrect.

POE:

Choice A: but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs: Incorrect. Comma + verb-ing modifier “making” modifies the preceding clause “Medicare… covers the full cost…” and renders the meaning of the sentence illogical.

Choice C: but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs: Correct. “which” is the correct relative pronoun to modify “nonhospital services”.

Choice D: which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries: Incorrect. This choice fails to establish the fact that Medicare does not cover the nonhospital services.

Choice E: which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs: Incorrect. Same error as in Choice D.

1. Comma + verb-ing modifier always modify the preceding clause.
2. Relative pronoun “where” is use for places.
3. Be wary of choice that changes or distorts the intended logical meaning of the sentence.

Hope that helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: GWD #17 V21 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 18:23
Solve this question in 45 seconds straight:

-->Read the sentence as : Medicare covers the full cost of HHC,_____
Just breeze through the modifier, especially when it is in the non underlined part of the portion of an SC.

Context Medicare covers for thing 1, but it does not cover for thing 2.

Now, you know that but/which are your only two possible answer choices.
Which refers to the noun preceded by the word which. Hence, based on the context, you can eliminate D,E without analyzing too much.

Move to answer choices A,B,C
A) use of the word 'where' has to point to a physical location.
B) -Ing form set off by a comma refers to the whole clause, the subject, or shows the result of the preceding clause. or to say it simply -ing form here would mean that because medicare covers the full cost of home health care it is making beneficiaries pay 20% of the cost. Doesn't make sense.
C) Which here differs from 'which' in answer choices D,E. It points to other non hospital services for which extra money is paid same as in D,E, however, the modified noun did not state what the sentence meant to say.
Hence this answer choice, unlike D,E, is contextually correct

Hope this helps :)

GMAT Central
GMAT Private Tutor(online)
50 hours@ $950; Customized tutoring approach
Tutored clients from Morgan Stanley
PM If interested

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Medicare, the United States government's health insurance [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2014, 04:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Medicare, the United States government's health insurance   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2014, 04:14