Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MEMO: To All Those Applying To Begin Fall 08

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

MEMO: To All Those Applying To Begin Fall 08 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 04:33
APPLY FIRST ROUND!!! Don't ask why, just do it, you'll be happier.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 04:48
I get it.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: MEMO: To All Those Applying To Begin Fall 08 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 04:56
johnnyx9 wrote:
APPLY FIRST ROUND!!! Don't ask why, just do it, you'll be happier.


Let me correct you slightly: apply to most or all schools in First Round.

Coz if you apply to only 2 in first round, you may get 100% dings from your R1 apps. and that means you are still stuck with waiting with the R2 apps... (like me).

Cheers. L.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2006
Posts: 248
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 06:38
let me make yet another tweak to this statement:

Apply to your top choices in R1, save the backups for R2. That way won't have to pay unnecessary deposits to the backups while waiting for your top choice!

Sure, it might feel good to have an early admit in the bag, but is it worth $1500 - $2500?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 06:39
fluffydot wrote:
let me make yet another tweak to this statement:

Apply to your top choices in R1, save the backups for R2. That way won't have to pay unnecessary deposits to the backups while waiting for your top choice!

Sure, it might feel good to have an early admit in the bag, but is it worth $1500 - $2500?


Another tweak

Apply to your top choices in R1, but no more than 5 schools, because you'll burn out, save the backups for R2. That way won't have to pay unnecessary deposits to the backups while waiting for your top choice!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 06:47
And one more piece of advice: Read through this forum and soak it all in before you do anything. Read the GMAT Strategy Forum and the "B-School Application" boards until your eyes are bleeding and your head is about to explode. Any question that could possibly come up as you go through the process has likely been asked dozens of times before and there is so much great info on this site.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 08:15
johnnyx9 wrote:
And one more piece of advice: Read through this forum and soak it all in before you do anything. Read the GMAT Strategy Forum and the "B-School Application" boards until your eyes are bleeding and your head is about to explode. Any question that could possibly come up as you go through the process has likely been asked dozens of times before and there is so much great info on this site.


Definitely agree, I wish I had found this site earlier.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 500
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 10:07
This site has helped a lot so far..has enabled me to improve my Gmat score from 590 to 710 and am sure that it will help me during the 2008 admission season as well.

Hoping that a majority of 2007 admits stay on this forum to guide through the treacherous times ahead!!

Cheers
Yogesh
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 11:05
I totally agree - this is a very valuable piece of advice. The waiting game starts getting really tough when you know that there is no time to participate in later rounds if you are dinged all around.

Also, there are rumors circulating that because of the somewhat unexpected increase in application volume, R2 turned out to be tougher than usual. Hard to say if this is true at this point, but several schools seem to have filled up greater portions of their class during R1 than usual.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 592
Location: Kuwait
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 08:15
I remember Kaplan saying that the best time to apply is R2 because R1 is where all top-applicants and those who are perfectly ready with their applications apply. R3 is too narrow and thus R2 is the perfect time to apply. That's not me, that's Kaplan.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 08:42
Mishari wrote:
I remember Kaplan saying that the best time to apply is R2 because R1 is where all top-applicants and those who are perfectly ready with their applications apply. R3 is too narrow and thus R2 is the perfect time to apply. That's not me, that's Kaplan.


Your sentence had some typos. I fixed it.

I remember Kraplan saying that the best time to apply is R2 because R1 is where all top-applicants and those who are perfectly ready with their applications apply. R3 is too narrow and thus R2 is the perfect time to apply. That's not me, that's Kraplan.


You can't "time" the market.... fyi. The reason people are saying ot apply R1 is because the wait is even more brutal.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 08:49
I think there are different philosophies on which round is the best one to apply to. I saw an interview transcript w/ Rod Garcia, the MIT director of admissions, and he said people have a better chance in Round 1 because they fill more spots with Round 1 people.

Some people say that non-traditional applicants have a better shot in Rouns 2 because at this point schools have gone for their staples (good stats). But I don't think any of this is really definitive. I don't think there's a HUGE difference in odds of admission. It's such a crapshoot to start out with.

So the reason I say go with Round 1 has nothing to do with your odds of getting in, it has to do with the fact that you'll be able to apply in Round 2 if things don't go well in Round 1. And if things go well in Round 1, then you have a lot more time to relax before school starts. Whereas if you apply Round 2 you may not find out until the summer if you're accepted off a waitlist etc....

So go Round 1!!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 08:55
johnnyx9 wrote:
I think there are different philosophies on which round is the best one to apply to. I saw an interview transcript w/ Rod Garcia, the MIT director of admissions, and he said people have a better chance in Round 1 because they fill more spots with Round 1 people.

Some people say that non-traditional applicants have a better shot in Rouns 2 because at this point schools have gone for their staples (good stats). But I don't think any of this is really definitive. I don't think there's a HUGE difference in odds of admission. It's such a crapshoot to start out with.

So the reason I say go with Round 1 has nothing to do with your odds of getting in, it has to do with the fact that you'll be able to apply in Round 2 if things don't go well in Round 1. And if things go well in Round 1, then you have a lot more time to relax before school starts. Whereas if you apply Round 2 you may not find out until the summer if you're accepted off a waitlist etc....

So go Round 1!!


The idea is the following (for Ultra-elites at least):

Small class programs: MIT, Stanford. Apply round 1!!!
The rest: apply round 1 or round 2.

Cheers. L.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 592
Location: Kuwait
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 10:22
Hahaha .. so you replaced Kaplan with Kraplan ..

Sometimes I can see why it's KRAPlan. The course I took from them wasn't very helpful. Not nearly half as much as this forum. I trashed $ 1,400 in vain. Since I'm going to be an international applicant, I can only apply in R1 and R2, I guess for the visa issues.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 19:03
rhyme wrote:
Mishari wrote:
Something about KRAPlan


he he! Nice to have you back!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 12:19
Another caveat I would add is don't do your top choice school first. I learned a lot after my first set of essays and my recommendations got better later on as well. It helps to have a warm up app. My 3rd-5th apps were golden.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 13:06
TexasGuy wrote:
My 3rd-5th apps were golden.


I totally agree. My 1st and 2nd apps turned out to be dings without interview. My 3rd - 5th apps turned out to be all admits. And the schools in my 3rd - 5th apps. were mostly on a par with those in the first rounds, not just backups.

L.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 500
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 13:23
lepium wrote:
TexasGuy wrote:
My 3rd-5th apps were golden.


I totally agree. My 1st and 2nd apps turned out to be dings without interview. My 3rd - 5th apps turned out to be all admits. And the schools in my 3rd - 5th apps. were mostly on a par with those in the first rounds, not just backups.

L.


Nice Tip guys
Thanks a lot

Yogesh
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 14:10
I submitted all my apps during the same period (R2 or R3 depending on the school), but the ones that I completed later in the process were of higher quality. Still, I think it's best to apply as early as possible. If I recall, you still have time to submit R2 apps if you are dinged in R1 - that's especially true for schools like Wharton & Chicago that release some dings prior to the deadline.

If you put all your eggs into a single basket (same round), your choices are a lot more limited if you are not successful. Plus, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the later in the season it gets, the more brutal the wait seems to be.

That's all in addition to the fact that while it may or may not get measurably more difficult in later rounds, it definitely doesn't get any easier.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2007, 14:37
lepium wrote:
TexasGuy wrote:
My 3rd-5th apps were golden.


I totally agree. My 1st and 2nd apps turned out to be dings without interview. My 3rd - 5th apps turned out to be all admits. And the schools in my 3rd - 5th apps. were mostly on a par with those in the first rounds, not just backups.

L.


True. I'm convinced that if I'd done Harvard toward the end, I would have at least made it to the interview.

By the same token - be careful though - doing your backups first can also backfire...
  [#permalink] 25 May 2007, 14:37
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Calling all BYU Fall '08 applicants kavet83 9 15 Aug 2007, 17:56
19 Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08 grad_mba 582 02 Aug 2007, 21:36
23 Calling all Kellogg Fall'08 applicants grad_mba 1984 26 Jul 2007, 15:15
Should I apply Round 3 or wait and apply for Fall '08? Texas_Dawg 7 02 Jan 2007, 20:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MEMO: To All Those Applying To Begin Fall 08

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.