Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Memorizing notes, and writing them out at the start?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Memorizing notes, and writing them out at the start? [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 12:14
Hello All,

This is my first post here, but I have looked through the forum quite a bit. It's fantastic, keep it going!

I am writing the GMAT for the first time this week.

I have two questions (I couldn't find answers to these anywhere):

1) Do you get the same yellow notebook until you run out of space, or do you get a new one after each section (AWA, Quant, Verbal)?

2) Does anyone memorize notes and then write them out at the start of the test?

I usually find that I have time left after each AWA section. This time could be used to write out notes so that I don't have to think about things as much during the test. For example, geometry formulas, factorial values etc. This would decrease the chance of muddling them up under pressure.

Also, I am thinking of writing out time guidelines for question timing, to keep me on track. For example, in the quant:

As in, when I am starting question 11 I should have 55 minutes left etc.

These are things I could just have in my head, but I think it would be easier to have them written out so I don't have to think about it.

I welcome your thoughts!

Thanks,

Iain
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Memorizing notes, and writing them out at the start? [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 23:22
imac wrote:
Hello All,

This is my first post here, but I have looked through the forum quite a bit. It's fantastic, keep it going!

I am writing the GMAT for the first time this week.

I have two questions (I couldn't find answers to these anywhere):

1) Do you get the same yellow notebook until you run out of space, or do you get a new one after each section (AWA, Quant, Verbal)?

Yes, you raise your hand and the test proctor will give you a new book. Note: There is no pausing the test, plan accordingly to try and use the notebook and not run out of space.

imac wrote:
2) Does anyone memorize notes and then write them out at the start of the test?

I usually find that I have time left after each AWA section. This time could be used to write out notes so that I don't have to think about things as much during the test. For example, geometry formulas, factorial values etc. This would decrease the chance of muddling them up under pressure.

You need to do what works for you. Everyone operates differently.

imac wrote:
Also, I am thinking of writing out time guidelines for question timing, to keep me on track. For example, in the quant:

As in, when I am starting question 11 I should have 55 minutes left etc.

These are things I could just have in my head, but I think it would be easier to have them written out so I don't have to think about it.

I welcome your thoughts!

Thanks,

Iain

See this thread regarding timing:
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Some people like the strategy you list. I prefer the average time per problem (i.e. you should be an avg of ~2min/prob on quant (37 probs in 75 mins) and ~1.8min/prob in verbal (41 probs in 75 mins).

Just as above, everyone operates in a different manner. What works for others may not work for you. The prep company strategies (Veritas, MGMAT, things posted on Gmatclub, etc.) can help you identify how to approach/solve problems and how to manage time, but you must be to the one who fine tunes these items so they work for YOU.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7635 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Memorizing notes, and writing them out at the start? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 00:09
Expert's post
You can also draw a grid (very helpful in verbal) during the break or while you are waiting for the AWA time to run out (if you have extra).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Memorizing notes, and writing them out at the start? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 15:50
Can anyone confirm that you will not get flagged (or worse, your test cancelled) for drawing an answer grid and writing timing notes during breaks? Just trying to be cautious...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Memorizing notes, and writing them out at the start? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 17:21
username123 wrote:
Can anyone confirm that you will not get flagged (or worse, your test cancelled) for drawing an answer grid and writing timing notes during breaks? Just trying to be cautious...

common sense should tell you that you would get flagged for doing that

write your notes with the time you have left after the awa section
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Memorizing notes, and writing them out at the start? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 07:57
No one cared that I was drawing out an answer grid for the verbal section at the end of my AWA section

Re: Memorizing notes, and writing them out at the start?   [#permalink] 01 May 2010, 07:57