Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mendoza v/s Georgetown???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Mendoza v/s Georgetown??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 03:40
I've been admitted to Mendoza(Notre Dame) with $$ and McDonough(Georgetown) with $$$ for fall 2014 intake. And they are in the top of my list right now.

My short term goal after MBA is to get into Product management/marketing in a Technology sector company. I see a number of my dream companies recruiting in Mendoza. And their employment statistics seem better than that of McDonough. Also, the living costs at Notre Dame are far lesser as compared to living in the metro like Washington DC. No idea on how graduate assistantships are at Notre Dame.

However, I've received 10k/year more scholarship in MCDonough as compared to how much I got from Mendoza. And Graduate assistantships seem promising at McDonough.

I'm confused about which exact school to choose to fit my career goals and financial affordability. Any suggestions??
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [1] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Mendoza v/s Georgetown??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
physsie wrote:

My short term goal after MBA is to get into Product management/marketing in a Technology sector company. I see a number of my dream companies recruiting in Mendoza. And their employment statistics seem better than that of McDonough.

Congrats on the admits!

Do you have a tech or marketing background? I've found that most tech companies aren't receptive to hiring career changers. They either want someone from the industry, or someone with marketing experience (unlike CPG companies which are very receptive to career changers).

Talk to current students. Sometimes the employment reports are deceptive. For instance you may see that Apple hired there recently and think you have a shot at being a product manager, when the reality is, they're only hiring for operations at that school.

Something else to consider as an international is which type of city you'll be comfortable in? South Bend, IN is in the boonies, there's Notre Dame and not much else. Washington DC, while expensive, is much more diverse, and in the event that you get some free time, there are a lot of cool things to see like museum of natural history, air and space museum, etc, a lot of which are free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern

Re: Mendoza v/s Georgetown??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 22:35
CobraKai wrote:
physsie wrote:

My short term goal after MBA is to get into Product management/marketing in a Technology sector company. I see a number of my dream companies recruiting in Mendoza. And their employment statistics seem better than that of McDonough.

Congrats on the admits!

Do you have a tech or marketing background? I've found that most tech companies aren't receptive to hiring career changers. They either want someone from the industry, or someone with marketing experience (unlike CPG companies which are very receptive to career changers).

Talk to current students. Sometimes the employment reports are deceptive. For instance you may see that Apple hired there recently and think you have a shot at being a product manager, when the reality is, they're only hiring for operations at that school.

Something else to consider as an international is which type of city you'll be comfortable in? South Bend, IN is in the boonies, there's Notre Dame and not much else. Washington DC, while expensive, is much more diverse, and in the event that you get some free time, there are a lot of cool things to see like museum of natural history, air and space museum, etc, a lot of which are free.

Thanks for your response!! :)

I have a complete tech background, and a very little exposure to marketing. I'm not sure how the tech companies treat such a profile! Any idea??
I will surely try and connect with the current students.

Do you see any more pros of attending Georgetown over Notre Dame, apart from the benefits of living in a bigger city?? I have a perception that Notre Dame has a bigger brand value. (May be because of the influence I've had from different MBA rankings!)
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Mendoza v/s Georgetown??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 22:53
physsie wrote:

I have a complete tech background, and a very little exposure to marketing. I'm not sure how the tech companies treat such a profile! Any idea??

Do you see any more pros of attending Georgetown over Notre Dame, apart from the benefits of living in a bigger city?? I have a perception that Notre Dame has a bigger brand value. (May be because of the influence I've had from different MBA rankings!)

The tech background with little exposure to marketing is good...that's why you're going to get an MBA, to bridge the gap.

As far as brand value goes, I'd give a slight advantage of McDonough over Mendoza, and the G'Town vs. Notre Dame is the same.

At this point, I'd focus on who recruits on campus and for what position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern

Re: Mendoza v/s Georgetown??? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 22:39
CobraKai wrote:
physsie wrote:

The tech background with little exposure to marketing is good...that's why you're going to get an MBA, to bridge the gap.

As far as brand value goes, I'd give a slight advantage of McDonough over Mendoza, and the G'Town vs. Notre Dame is the same.

At this point, I'd focus on who recruits on campus and for what position.

Thanks CobraKai!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Mendoza v/s Georgetown??? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 21:33
I am in a similar boat. Have you made a decision yet? I too am looking to get into tech strategy and product management for a tech company post MBA. Did you apply R1?
Re: Mendoza v/s Georgetown???   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2014, 21:33