Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Mentioning Other Acceptances in WL Update [#permalink]
I am quite aware that a WL can end with a ding.
I guess my question was really meant to be two parts.

Assuming the WL school is my #1 choice, however I am of course willing to go to the other school(s) I have been accepted to (otherwise why would I even apply there).
On the WL update:
1. Do I mention that I have been accepted to other schools, but still see this as my first choice?
2. If I mention #1, do I mention that I need to know by a certain date (in a nice way obviously).

Basically I want to maximize the chances of admission in R2 cycle.

Thanks again!

PS CobraKai, it sounds like you recommend doing #1 (mention other acceptances) but not #2 giving a deadline, am I right?

Originally posted by WaitinginNY on 25 Jan 2013, 11:48.
Last edited by WaitinginNY on 25 Jan 2013, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
WaitinginNY wrote:
Specifically I need a reply by end of March (R2 notification date), and if I am still WL by then I will go ahead and go to another school.

So I guess the question, should I mention other acceptances in the WL update, and if so should I mention my deadline for a response?

Thanks!

I wouldn't expect them to review your application just because of this. Keep in mind, it's called the WAITlist for a reason. If you're waitlisted at a school you really want to go to, the move is to put the deposit down at the school you were accepted to, hope the WL'd school finds a spot for you, then you forfeit the earlier deposit. Think of it as an insurance policy.

I see two scenarios playing out if you tell a school you need to know by the end of March:

1) Release. You'll get an official ding.

2) No decision.

The reality is the school that waitlisted you has the pull here. If you were that awesome you wouldn't have been waitlisted. A school's priority is it's accepted applicants first - they could care less if one of their waitlisters has a deposit deadline coming up at another school.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to be mean - I'm just trying to give you a reality check and don't want you to get your hopes up that a school might actually speed up on a decision just for you. The majority of the people on the waitlist are probably in your situation with a deposit deadline coming up, they can't pander to everyone.

I completely agree. Everyone wants to know before deposit deadlines and the only people they are fawning over right now are the admits. Cobrakai's right: they hold all the cards.

Sorry, I know it sucks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
WaitinginNY wrote:
1. Do I mention that I have been accepted to other schools, but still see this as my first choice?
2. If I mention #1, do I mention that I need to know by a certain date (in a nice way obviously).

PS CobraKai, it sounds like you recommend doing #1 (mention other acceptances) but not #2 giving a deadline, am I right?

Mentioning other acceptances is optional - I don't see it helping one way or another. My main point was #2 - schools are going to review the waitlist on their timeline. They're not going to rush a decision because you have a deadline coming up - they couldn't care less. I wouldn't even mention that you need to know by a certain date because that would just signal that you don't know how the process works. EVERYONE on the waitlist wants to know their fate sooner than later, but it's just not possible.

What I was saying is put a deposit down at the other school you'd be thrilled to attend while continuing to show interest in your number 1 school and wait it out. How much you like that schools depends on how long you wait I suppose.

I understand your position as a fellow applicant, but from the schools point of view, I'm not bending over backward for a wait-listed applicant while I've still got Round 2 apps to review with another batch coming in for Round 3...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the info, definitely helps to hear a second opinion!
GMAT Club Bot