Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mentioning weaknesses in the recommendation letter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Mentioning weaknesses in the recommendation letter [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 17:24
The person doing my rec needs some help about talking about my weaknesses. The question specifically asks for 3 weaknesses and the examples.

So should he give half BS answers that don't sound too bad. Or should he give some actual weaknesses that would put me in a bad light?

half BS answer: He has a tendency to procrastinate on some of the tasks. Or takes on too much work and then asks for help.

Actual Weakness: He has very bad interpersonal skills or he is not a team player
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 17:49
This post received
KUDOS
If you mention "Poor Interpersonal Skills" as a weakness, you are a gonner. All weaknesses need to be spun in a positive light -- showcasing how you were once weak and how you addressed those weaknesses.

Example:

"XYZ is currently learning in the area of people management. Although he had little training in this area, he has made rapid strides and recently completed ABC project by involving peers he had no authority over. His potential while not fully realized appears to be promising."
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 18:07
That's the thing. I read all the interview books about the weakness qeustion. If they ask me directly, then I could say what I've done to correct it or at least improve on.

It's hard for my boss to say something. Does he say a weakness and then say that I've improved and it is no longer a weakness?

Or does he flat out say a weakness that is not to damaging?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 19:57
I think it is pretty clear from the example I gave what I think you should do.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1551 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 20:13
saturnring11 wrote:
I think it is pretty clear from the example I gave what I think you should do.

I'd agree w/ saturnring.

Discuss the weakness, show how you are aware of it and are actively working to address it, and note your improvement, while impressive, still requires additional work.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
So should he give half BS answers that don't sound too bad. Or should he give some actual weaknesses that would put me in a bad light?

It doesn't have to be one or the other. As the example by saturn showed, it can be something that you are mediocre at (maybe because of a lack of experience), something that’s important, but also something that you can reasonably improve upon. Don't have them write about something that makes your character look bad (not a team player), or something that will make it difficult for you to succeed or contribute in school (poor interpersonal or analytical skills). Do you have average time management skills? Are you just learning how to manage staff? Do you have a tendency to defer to more senior team members? What improvement opportunities show up on your reviews? Those are all legit things but they don't "put you in a bad light."
Non-Human User
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Mentioning weaknesses in the recommendation letter [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 10:14
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Mentioning weaknesses in the recommendation letter   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2014, 10:14