Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Merage (A)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Re: Business Schools at a glance [#permalink]
AvgIndianGuy wrote:
I am a current student at merage ! Do not come to Merage . THe career center is horrible. No companies come on college campus and you are basically left on your own to look for jobs. The alumni network is almost non existent. Dont be fooled by ft rankings . I dont know why ft gives it around 50 rank. Other rankings all give Merage very low score. If you get 100percent scholarship then its worth it otherwise a big No No ! the living cost in Orange county is of the roof.

Please reach out to a Indian MBA candidate before taking this college.
Its very risky !!

Can you elaborate on the rational you have picked on ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Mate, can you please substantiate your claim?

I have spoken to a lot students (both alumni and current students) and all of them have nothing but good things to say. In the last 6 to 7 months of me doing some extensive research abt merage program, this is the first bad review I have come across..

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Interesting discussion. While I agree to the fact that it's little difficult at tier 2/3 schools to find a job after graduation in comparison with top schools, employment scenario might not be as grave as stated in the first post. You say in your original post (attached below) that no any company recruits on school's campus and that alumni network is almost non existent. If this were true then it would certainly have reflected in the employment rate of school. What we can learn from stats is that Merage's post MBA employment rate (82% employed within three months of graduation) is almost similar to that of many other schools of the same category.

It would be great if asphalt (Our former forum moderator and Merage alumnus) can chime in. He has written very decent review for the school. https://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/merage-44
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would add that based on staring at numbers on US News, the recruiting department was not so glorious in 2014 as only 56% of grads had a job offer at graduation. Their chances are much much better, however, 3 months out with 82% reporting jobs (that's an indicator that they most likely got them on their own). 82% is a very decent number for a top 50 school.

However, average salaries are somewhat on the low side - $85K average (Good for TX and midwest but not great for So Cal)....

If you are a prospective applicant to this or any top 40+ rated MBA, be prepared for lackluster recruiting on campus, and having to win your battles for internships and jobs on your own.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
AvgIndianGuy wrote:
I am a current student at merage ! . The career center is only a means to help u get the job, but u also have to put in the hard work. Few companies (as is the case in other colleges too)come on college campus and you are basically left on your own to look for jobs if you dont make into them. The alumni network is small meaning you have to be more rigorous in reaching out and your networking efforts. Dont be fooled by ft rankings . I dont know why ft gives it around 50 rank. Other rankings all give Merage very low score. If you get 100percent scholarship then its totally worth it otherwise u might wanna research more! the living cost in Orange county is also pretty high.

Please reach out to a Indian MBA candidate before taking this college.

I seriously doubt the points made in this post. I am a Merage Alum and know Alums from 2010 to 2016 and have never heard such opinion. The school prides by calling it a small knit community and you will be amazed to see how Alums help you as a mentor. Decent number of companies come on campus for recruitment. Last Year Amazon made Merage their core recruiting school. My group mates all bagged package 90k to 130k + other benefits. It all depends on what you want to do. Some students look for carrier change and are okay to be paid less to get the foot on the door. School never pushes to run behind salary rather to do something you really want to do. Financial times shows salary after 3 years of grad and it shows the worth you get from your MBA.

The school recruits top talent, a diverse class, and does a good job at improving your outlook (linkedIn profile, interview prep, top notch faculty, subjects etc.). The school gave me the opportunity to work with CEO of a company for Experiential Learning, Professor from MIT on Sustainability and tonnes of knowledge which is very critical for my job now.

However there are times when its tough to get a job and it can happen with any student who does MBA in any B-School. Key is to Utlize alum network, on campus hiring, career fair and never give up attitude.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Merage Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Merage Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Merage Forum for all fresh things related to the Merage MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts