Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Messed up my score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Messed up my score [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2004, 16:00
I took my Gmat today and messed up my score. Never in my dreams I thought that I will end up with a score so low, just 510. I feel very upset :cry: . After trying so hard this is what I ended up with. I have been following this forum for more than a month and I have read almost all the experiences shared by you all. A lot of them still inspires me that I can do better.
I have still not recovered from what I experienced today. AWA was cool, and I felt quite confident that I started quite well and was confident to end it the same way. Then came Quant which which started with an easy one but the third question itself took me offguard. I realised that I spent more than 5 minutes on that question and still had no clue how to solve. So instead of calming down and trying again, I preferred to guess and move to next question. The next question was wordy and confusion. Slowly I could see the level of toughness parallel to Kaplan test. But around the 25th question I realised that I was just few minutes off from my planned time. Later the clock seemed to be running so fast that I could not make up and had to guess a few more towards the end.
Verbal - I noticed that the passages looked easy compared to Kaplan tests, but that raised doubts in my mind if I was doing well. Later I got two BF questions which made me think that I am not doing that bad.
Anyway, I knew that my verbal is not strong and was expecting anything close to 30. I relied more on my Quant ability and realised that I messed up my Quant too.

Anyways, I am determined to do good next time.

My test scores did indicate that I was not doing so well, and at one time I thought that I should reschedule my test. But I have been postponing several of my plans due to this and so wanted to give it a shot. Looks like I was really not prepared.

My test scores were :
KP: Diag - 580
KP:1 - 500
KP:2 - 550
KP:3 - Q 44, test abandoned
KP:4 - 570 (Q50, V24)
PR:1 - 650
PR:2 - 680
PR3 - 530 (I commited some silly mistakes in Quant)

GMAT800 1 : Q49, V24
GMAT800 2 : Q50, V28
Arco Math : 51-66

I need to focus a lot on Verbal. So far I have learned that I should practice LSAT CR and RC. I know that RC is my biggest weakness. I was doing better on CR and SC, but need to sharpen lot more on those.

I seriously need help and advice. Please post any advice to improve my Verbal, esp RC. I will not leave it to chance next time... No more guessing.

Thanks
PracticeMore.

Sorry guys I am trying to hide my identity in this forum..... believe me its tough to see such a low score on the screen. So far I was a daily visitor to this site but I think I need to be more active.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2004, 19:38
Practice will make you perfect. Stick around here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2004, 19:52
Hi practicemore, I think the last page of "share your experience" has many invaluable advice as to how to improve your verbal. As a personal experience, by reading more and doing more CR, your RC will automatically increase because you will spot those key words that will give you a good grasp of the passages. I think you should actively participate in this forum as it is what will make keep a keen eye opened for spotting errors in SC or CR. All that said, once again, browse through the share your experience forum, it is worth it.
Paul

PS, you may also want to visit the "best verbal discussion" forum.

Best Regards,

Paul

CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2004, 21:06
Hi PracticeMore,

One of the best aspects of a low score is that it inspires one to focus on the task at hand and work even harder.

As a generality, I discourage students from trying to make up for a low score in one section (eg Q) with an extremely high score in the other section. This seems to lead to pressure to "max out" the stronger section and this interferes with the essential task of academic triage (knowing which problems to stop working on before wasting several minutes). It is important to remember that test scoring is a convergent process, thus a mild retrograde followed by several correct answers might actually improve your score. Students often refer to one difficult problem that throws them off and "causes" a low score for that section. It would be extremely difficult for this to be literally true for a students who is targeting a score in the middle of the score distribution since one question does not have this much influence over the entire test (its effect is mitigated by the prior and subsequent questions) However, the psychological effect can certainly carry over to the subsequent problems - this effect should diminish with practice.

Feel free to send me a PM for more suggestions.

Hjort
  [#permalink] 13 Oct 2004, 21:06