Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Metaphors for essay questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Metaphors for essay questions [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 09:59
Hi gang,
I'm applying for the Fall/summer weekend programs at Booth and Kellogg.

The personal statement questions are very much the same, Why MBA? why now? Goals? Why us?...

Booths culture seems more geared towards leadership and challenges and Kellogg's culture is
more community/teamwork and experiental.

I am an ardent travel and outdoors person so I was contemplating using an adventure/challenges metaphor for the booth
essay. I would relate a thirst for challenge and tell some lessons I learned. I could also talk about leadership with
regards to some of the trips/adventures I have led. I could also put this theme in my goals, by talking about them as being challenges
(they are)!! And also relate some WE which was a challenge.

With regards to Kellogg I was thinking about bringing out the community aspect of my culture (I am Pakistani) and
bring out some leadership/teamwork stories and retrofit the goals as a community thing

What do you guys think? I have this nagging feeling that it might come out sounding trite and possibly cliched
Or adcomm might not be able to relate it to some goals.

ANY and ALL thoughts would be appreciated!!!!
Current Student
Schools: R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Metaphors for essay questions [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 11:08
I think those are both fine approaches but I would try and make sure that those metaphors/themes don’t take away from the body of the essay (Why MBA?/Why Now?/Why School?).
I think those types of themes allow you to create a narrative for the actual content. I put in unrelated but similar type content in my intro to set up who I am (but only a few sentences) and then lightly touched on how my experience and goals related. I also used the personal/interest framework to wrap the essays up.
Here is how I see something like you are talking about working:
“I love whitewater rafting because it’s a combo of brains and strength. My professional experience has been similar. I started as a laborer and worked up to a foreman.

Experience as laborer

Experience as foreman

Typical Why MBA?/Why Now?/Why School

Future Goals

When I graduate from your school and start a construction company, I’ll know that it takes some hard paddling but you also have to know the physics [or whatever, I don’t raft] of the river.”

My point is to use that info to set up your essay but don’t let it take it over/get too cute
Current Student
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Re: Metaphors for essay questions [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 12:13
Great advice!! Only a few sentences as an intro and to create a central theme and then launch into it!

DuckPond wrote:
I think those are both fine approaches but I would try and make sure that those metaphors/themes don’t take away from the body of the essay (Why MBA?/Why Now?/Why School?).
I think those types of themes allow you to create a narrative for the actual content. I put in unrelated but similar type content in my intro to set up who I am (but only a few sentences) and then lightly touched on how my experience and goals related. I also used the personal/interest framework to wrap the essays up.
Here is how I see something like you are talking about working:
“I love whitewater rafting because it’s a combo of brains and strength. My professional experience has been similar. I started as a laborer and worked up to a foreman.

Experience as laborer

Experience as foreman

Typical Why MBA?/Why Now?/Why School

Future Goals

When I graduate from your school and start a construction company, I’ll know that it takes some hard paddling but you also have to know the physics [or whatever, I don’t raft] of the river.”

My point is to use that info to set up your essay but don’t let it take it over/get too cute

"The distribution is fat-tailed relative to the normal distribution"
~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Re: Metaphors for essay questions   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2010, 12:13