Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Meteorologists say that if only they could design an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Meteorologists say that if only they could design an [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2004, 14:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:19) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Meteorologists say that if only they could design an accurate mathematical model of the atmosphere with all its complexities, they could forecast the weather with real precision. But this is an idle boast, immune to any evaluation, for any inadequate weather forecast would obviously be blamed on imperfections in the model.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used as a basis for arguing against the author┬б┬пs position that the meteorologists┬б┬п claim cannot be evaluated?

A. Certain unusual configurations of data can serve as the basis for precise weather forecasts even though the exact causal mechanisms are not understood.
B. Most significant gains in the accuracy of the relevant mathematical model are accompanied by clear gains in the precision of weather forecasts.
C. Mathematical models of the meteorological aftermath of such catastrophic events as volcanic eruptions are beginning to be constructed.
D. Modern weather forecast for as much as a full day ahead are broadly correct about 80 percent of the time.
E. Meteorologists readily concede that the accurate mathematical model they are talking about is not now in their power to construct.

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2004, 15:22
B is the best choice. B gives proof that it is actually possible to develop a mathematical model that is accurate.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2004, 20:16
I'd go with B on this one.

A is out for me, just on the grounds that it does not provide any concrete "evidence" that the mathematical model will help to evaluate weather forecasts.

C. Studying volcanick eruptions is not helpful in this case, it wouldve been helpful, only in case such models were used at the present time. Thus, no suggestion of weather the models are accurate, as far as we know they could turn out INACCURATE

D seemed tempting at first, but it in fact supports the authors statement. If we consider 80% accuracy acceptable, any deviation to the left will be blamed on the mathematical model. Bottom line....I dont see anything in this answer.

E is directly opposite to what we need to prove. Meteorologist conceding now, only adds value to authors statement.

And so, I am left with B

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2004, 21:04
lvb9th wrote:
I'd go with B on this one.

A is out for me, just on the grounds that it does not provide any concrete "evidence" that the mathematical model will help to evaluate weather forecasts.

C. Studying volcanick eruptions is not helpful in this case, it wouldve been helpful, only in case such models were used at the present time. Thus, no suggestion of weather the models are accurate, as far as we know they could turn out INACCURATE

D seemed tempting at first, but it in fact supports the authors statement. If we consider 80% accuracy acceptable, any deviation to the left will be blamed on the mathematical model. Bottom line....I dont see anything in this answer.

E is directly opposite to what we need to prove. Meteorologist conceding now, only adds value to authors statement.

And so, I am left with B

OA is B. Very good analysis :rocket

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 26 Mar 2004, 21:04