Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Methods for typing blood were developed around the turn of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

Methods for typing blood were developed around the turn of [#permalink] New post 10 May 2009, 12:21
Methods for typing blood were developed around the turn of the century, about the same time that fingerprints were first used for identification. Only in the last decade or two, however, have scientists begun to believe that genetic markers in blood and other bodily fluids may someday prove as useful in crime detection as fingerprints.
The standard ABO blood typing has long been used as a form of negative identification. Added sophistication came with the discovery of additional subgroups of genetic markers in blood and with the discovery that genetic markers are present not only in blood but also in other bodily fluids, such as perspiration and saliva.
These discoveries were of little use in crime detection, however, because of the circumstances in which police scientists must work. Rather than a plentiful sample of blood freshly drawn from a patient, the crime laboratory is likely to receive only a tiny fleck of dried blood of unknown age from an unknown “donor” on a shirt or a scrap of rag that has spent hours or days exposed to air, high temperature, and other contaminants.
British scientists found a method for identifying genetic markers more precisely in small samples. In this process, called electrophoresis, a sample is placed on a tray containing a gel through which an electrical current is then passed. A trained analyst reads the resulting patterns in the gel to determine the presence of various chemical markers.
Electrophoresis made it possible to identify several thousand subgroups of blood types rather than the twelve known before. However, the equipment and special training required were expensive. In addition, the process could lead to the destruction of evidence. For example, repeated tests of a blood-flecked shirt—one for each marker—led to increasing deterioration of the evidence and the cost of a week or more of laboratory time.
It remained for another British researcher, Brian Wrexall, to demonstrate that simultaneous analyses, using an inexpensive electrophoresis apparatus, could test for ten different genetic markers within a 24-hour period. This development made the study of blood and other fluid samples an even more valuable tool for crime detection.

The author sets off the word “‘donor’” (line 18) with quotation marks in order to
(A) emphasize that most of the blood samples received by crime laboratories come from anonymous sources
(B) underscore the contrast between the work done in a crime laboratory and that done in a blood bank
(C) call attention to the fact that, because of underfunding, crime laboratories are forced to rely on charitable contributions
(D) show that the word is being used in a technical, rather than a general, sense
(E) indicate that the blood samples received by crime laboratories are not given freely

The passage contains information that would answer which of the following questions?
(A) Is evidence of genetic markers in bodily fluids admissible in court?
(B) Can electrophoresis be used to identify genetic markers in saliva?
(C) How many subgroups of blood types are currently identifiable?
(D) How accurate is the process of electrophoresis?
(E) How many tests for genetic markers must police scientists run in order to establish the identity of a criminal?

The passage implies that electrophoresis may help scientists determine
(A) whether or not a sample of blood could have come from a particular person
(B) the age and condition of a dried specimen of blood or other bodily fluid
(C) when and where a crime was probably committed
(D) the cause of death in homicide cases
(E) the age, gender, and ethnic background of an unknown criminal suspect

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

Re: RC: Genetic Markers [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 04:37
typhoidX wrote:
(1) "Donor": I think its either (A) or (C), & (A) looks more likely. The sentences prior to the word describes the anonymous nature of the blood samples obtained by the crime labs. I'll guess (A).

Probably You can take another shot. I am not revealing the answer.

typhoidX wrote:
(2) I hate digging for details in these scientific passages... I think I'll go with (B), that seems to be the most straightforward question which could be answered... but the problem is the line that mentions saliva comes way before electrophoresis... so I don't know for sure... gees I hate these scientific readings.

Agree with you. See the last line of the passage. People generally ignore the last line when they read the passage. I did the same. ... :(
OA is same

typhoidX wrote:
(3) I'll go with (A), since electrophoresis can determine several thousand blood subtypes, (A) is the least exaggerated claim that follows from this logic.

OA is same. I like the logic you've used. thank you.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: RC: Genetic Markers [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 00:55
I chose D for the first question.
Re: RC: Genetic Markers   [#permalink] 14 May 2009, 00:55