Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Mfin Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Ivan91 wrote:
MSc Finance in the USA has no value. With you profile, I would get a job and do a top MBA in 4 years time. With a MSc Finance, you will be competing for analyst positions with other undergrads and with other MSc Finance students. I mean, if you make it to MIT thats fair, but apart from that, pointless.

To get into a top MBA you need a few things.

1) Great work experience (more blue chip the firm the better)
2) Good UG GPA and school
3) EC's
4) GMAT/GRE

If you go to a unknown school, have a low GPA and can't get a job at a good company, then your odds of getting into a top MBA program is pretty low. So telling someone to just work and do a top MBA isn't always the best advice.

Yes, if you have no experience then a MSF will compete with UG's. BUT, if you go to a good MSF program you can have an opportunity to get into FLDP programs at F50 firms, Investment banking jobs, Big 4 valuation or transaction services, etc. You can re-brand and layer a better school on your resume. You can relocate. Improve your GPA, etc. In this circumstance the MSF provides a perfect bridge to the top MBA.

Also, as the degree matures and becomes more well known you might not need to do an MBA at all. In the 5 years I have been doing MSF stuff (advising, website, etc) I see a minority of students going back for their MBA. Maybe simply progress in their jobs and after working for a number of time their masters takes on even more prominence. It is a graduate degree all the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks for the responses. That is exactly my line of reasoning for why I decided to go for the MSF track. MIT is a much better brand to have on my resume than my undergrad, plus there might be no need for going back for an MBA. If I do get into MIT however, then I would probably give it a shot at top MBA schools after some years of work.
On the topic of recruiting, I'm getting some offers from boutique PE firms which aren't well known. I think that applying for an MSF at a top school would improve my recruiting chances/job offer quality. Hope it is the right call.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts