Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 06:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT 9-wk self-study - progress going too slowly, tips?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

MGMAT 9-wk self-study - progress going too slowly, tips? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 07:51
Hi all,

I'm currently using the MGMAT self-study program (set of 8 books and downloaded classes/tutorials) and following their self-study organizer to prepare for the GMAT.

It's a 9-week program to get through all the MGMAT material, plus another 2-3 weeks afterwards to drill exams and practice problems. Considering how I'm currently unemployed, I have a lot of time to really crack the whip on studying. I spend about 5 hours a day, 6 days a week in the library.

The self-study organizer is great, as it helps me organize what to exactly study (in terms of readings, questions, etc) week-by-week. I'm currently wrapping up Week 2, however I'm finding that I'm struggling just to keep on top of all of the work each week. My 30 hours of studying per week is spent JUST to be able to get through all of the material assigned each week. I figure 9 weeks of this, plus another 2-3 weeks afterwards of hardcore exam prep, will put me at about 400-450 hours of studying total... and that's A LOT.

I was originally hoping to be able to cut the 9-week study into 5-6 weeks, to get through all the MGMAT books in that time, and then go through 2-3 weeks of exam prepping given the amount of time I spend on studying right now. But that doesn't look feasible right now.

For those of you who've used MGMAT, do you have any tips on how to study more effectively and efficiently? If I'm spending 30 hrs a week studying, shouldn't I be progressing faster (i.e. getting through the Weeks 1-9 of MGMAT at a more accelerated pace)? Or is this on par with what I should be expecting? I'm doing all of the readings, making notes after each chapter's readings, watching the online classes and tutorials and making notes, doing all of the In Action problem sets after each chapter, and finally doing the assigned OG problems.

I find that making notes takes up a lot of my time when studying - would it be wise to stop note-taking and just re-read the chapters later on? Maybe highlight my books instead of taking notes? Should I focus my time on doing the problems? What are your strategies?

And should I look at maybe not spending as much time on the Advanced Sections of the MGMAT books? I've read on here that they're not really worth focusing on as these types of questions don't show up as much on the GMAT?

I'm looking to get a 700+ on my first shot so focusing a lot of time these next 2 months to nailing the self-study portion.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT 9-wk self-study - progress going too slowly, tips? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 16:57
I have ordered two of the books for my own study plan. I do not have the whole set. Have you taken practice tests? Is all this studying helping? Sometimes you can get into a fog unless you find a partner or pull yourself out of that particular material at least one day a week. Think about these options. BTW have you accesses the Manhattan tests and how are they?
Re: MGMAT 9-wk self-study - progress going too slowly, tips?   [#permalink] 14 May 2010, 16:57