Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 12:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT Advanced Quant detailed review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
WE: Web Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

MGMAT Advanced Quant detailed review [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 05:23
This post received
KUDOS
I have been getting some questions on this book in my GMAT Experience . So I thought I share my views on the book.

The book assumes that you have attained a certain level of expertise in Quant. It even has a few initial problems (tough ones) at the beginning to assess this for you.

The book is not a collection of "secrets" or "super shortcut formulas". It deals ENTIRELY in "How to tackle problems that you are having trouble proceeding with". So if you havent practiced Quant well, this book cant help you. You cannot move to this book after finishing your MGMAT Strategy guides. The correct order is MGMAT Strategy Guides, OG, 2-3 CATs and then MGMAT Advanced Quant.

The first half of the book deals with strategies. They are divided into two types - "Advanced strategies" and "Guessing tactics". Advanced strategies are "Advanced" not "tough" and are very helpful in problem solving. Guessing tactics have some logic in them and are accompanied by their "certainity". These strategies dont just help in tough problems, they make easy problems shorter and quicker to solve.

In the second half of the book, there are lessons like "Visual solutions". A well practiced student might have already learned such procedures in his mind while solving problems in OG. These lessons make sure that the student uses these procedures more effectively. They can be both time saving and helpful for tougher problems.

At the end, the book has 15 sets of ten problems each. If you solve one set a day setting time limit for 15 days before your GMAT test appointment, your "Tougher part" of the GMAT exam will tend to be a little more "used to". So, you can go with a fresh mind for verbal

In the questions from other forum users, I have sensed a feeling of "If I solve this book, I can solve tougher problems that GMAT gives me and end up with higher score on the GMAT". This is true only if you have enough practice.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MGMAT Advanced Quant detailed review [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 05:59
I totally agree with you on ur review of the book. I'm currently using the book and i found it to be really helpful in two ways
1) It has excellent tips which we already know but we don't apply them. So the book does make us organised in solving difficult problems. Tips such as physical separation of the two options in DS questions or plugging in the answer choices with examples do make this book extremely helpful.
2) The level of difficulty in 15 sets given in the last chapter increases gradually and the questions are really worth 700+ level.
Very nicely reviewed by amemailos, + 1 Kudos to you.
p.s Those scoring below 45-46 will not gain much from the book, Ideal way is to reach around 47 with other books and then use this book to reach around 50.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: MGMAT Advanced Quant detailed review [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 09:13
Are the questions in this book similar to the MGMAT challenge questions ? I mean in terms of their level of difficulty

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: MGMAT Advanced Quant detailed review   [#permalink] 03 May 2012, 09:13