Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

mgmat: analyze the argument

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
mgmat: analyze the argument [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 14:48
United Energy recently invested in a series of large windmills which are able to produce renewable energy with minimal negative effect to the environment. The company has not drilled oil wells in the same area, even though greater revenues and profits could be generated from oil wells. Because any drilling would disrupt the native habitat of certain marine species in the area, some environmentalists assert that, by foregoing this drilling, United Energy has established that it places environmental impact over financial returns. However, United Energy may be acting in a manner consistent with its financial goals. Recent patterns of increasing annual hurricane activity have some experts questioning the long-term viability and profitability of oil wells in the area.

The two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

The first supports the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second supports that conclusion.
The first supports the environmentalists’ conclusion; the second states that conclusion.
The first states the environmentalists’ conclusion; the second provides a consideration in support of that conclusion.
The first supports the conclusion of the argument; the second also supports the conclusion of the argument.

Last edited by bigtreezl on 19 Aug 2008, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat: analyze the argument [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 14:50
In order for a bold face question to be answers, you're going to need to actualy bold the portions in question.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat: analyze the argument [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 14:59
my bad
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat: analyze the argument [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 17:28
I thought both the bold faced sentences are Premises for the given conclusion. But there are no option like that.

C should be the answer

The first supports the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question. It does not question the conclusion
The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second supports that conclusion. Bold faced sentence is not the conclusion.
The first supports the environmentalists’ conclusion; the second states that conclusion.
The first states the environmentalists’ conclusion; the second provides a consideration in support of that conclusion. The first sentence is not the conclusion. That is just a premise
The first supports the conclusion of the argument; the second also supports the conclusion of the argument.No. they do not support the conclusion because the conclusion is "United Energy may be acting in a manner consistent with its financial goals."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat: analyze the argument [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 01:47
bigtreezl wrote:
United Energy recently invested in a series of large windmills which are able to produce renewable energy with minimal negative effect to the environment. The company has not drilled oil wells in the same area, even though greater revenues and profits could be generated from oil wells. Because any drilling would disrupt the native habitat of certain marine species in the area, some environmentalists assert that, by foregoing this drilling, United Energy has established that it places environmental impact over financial returns. However, United Energy may be acting in a manner consistent with its financial goals. Recent patterns of increasing annual hurricane activity have some experts questioning the long-term viability and profitability of oil wells in the area.

The two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

The first supports the conclusion of the argument; the second calls that conclusion into question.
The first states the conclusion of the argument; the second supports that conclusion.
The first states the environmentalists’ conclusion; the second provides a consideration in support of that conclusion.
The first supports the conclusion of the argument; the second also supports the conclusion of the argument.

They consider environment impact a significant issue even greater revenues and profits could be generated from oil wells.
So C is best!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: mgmat: analyze the argument [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 17:11
OA is C. I always seem to have a hard time with these types of questions...any pointers?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: mgmat: analyze the argument [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2008, 19:59
I chose C as well.

From what I can remember this is the 1st time I have got any of these type of questions right!!
Re: mgmat: analyze the argument   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2008, 19:59