Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 14:36
Hi all,

I want to practice writing sample GMATs, and have heard good things about the Manhattan GMAT tests. I've also read that if you purchase any MGMAT strategy guide, you receive 6 free practice tests. The other option is to purchase the tests separately, as a 1-year access pass (which is more expensive than a book). I am leaning towards the book, because some have claimed that lots of questions are repeated after you finish 6 practice tests.

So what do you recommend? I am interested in what you all have done.

Thank you very much.
Luke
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8379 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 14:53
Expert's post
boxx0r wrote:
Hi all,

I want to practice writing sample GMATs, and have heard good things about the Manhattan GMAT tests. I've also read that if you purchase any MGMAT strategy guide, you receive 6 free practice tests. The other option is to purchase the tests separately, as a 1-year access pass (which is more expensive than a book). I am leaning towards the book, because some have claimed that lots of questions are repeated after you finish 6 practice tests.

So what do you recommend? I am interested in what you all have done.

Thank you very much.
Luke

You should not need access for more than 6 months - you will take the tests and be done with them. Get a book.
Chances are, you will get a few MGMAT Books such as MGMAT CR or MGMAT RC, or MGMAT SC - each has a code for a 6 months access to the tests

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 15:07
I was in a similar situation was deciding between buying a book ($29) and getting access to the 6 tests or getting the 1 year access. What made the situation different for me was that I already had picked up the 8 strategy guides on craigslist, so I would have an extra book if I bought it. Furthermore, despite 1 year access, I only had 6 weeks until test date, so I wasn't sure which to choose.

I ended up going with the 1 year of access since they had a sale a couple of days ago and got it for ~$70. I think that's the way to go, because what's arguably better than the tests themselves is access to question banks. For example, I took a CAT and found that I did poorly on geometry. Well, the geometry test bank had a complete quant section dedicated entirely to geometry. That's 37 questions of geometry, and needless to say it helped a lot. The challenge question bank will also be helpful, since if you're going for a 750+ score, those questions are pretty rare.

So, if you can afford it, definitely go with the 1 year access. I'm going to allow my friend access to it after my test date, since it still will have nearly 11 months of access left.
Intern
Intern

Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 15:15
Interesting replies. Bipolar, I understand what you're getting at - but I have OG 12 which includes hundreds of sample questions. Albeit, it may not be as many as MGMAT's question bank, but I think they should suffice, at least for now. A MGMAT book would also help me in the specific areas I am struggling with.

I am still torn :roll:
Intern
Intern

Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 13:26
Another question --

When purchasing an MGMAT book through their website, the cost to ship to Canada is just about the price of the book itself. However, in a local bookstore chain, the price is considerably lower. Are the 6 tests still included in books purchased via retail? Or is this promotion only good through their online store?

Thanks.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 13:41
Expert's post
boxx0r wrote:
Another question --

When purchasing an MGMAT book through their website, the cost to ship to Canada is just about the price of the book itself. However, in a local bookstore chain, the price is considerably lower. Are the 6 tests still included in books purchased via retail? Or is this promotion only good through their online store?

Thanks.

There is a sticker with access code on the last page of the book - any book purchased through any channel (except if it is used) will have the code and therefore eligible for online access.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 13:43
bb wrote:
boxx0r wrote:
Another question --

Thanks.

There is a sticker with access code on the last page of the book - any book purchased through any channel (except if it is used) will have the code and therefore eligible for online access.

Thank you very much for the quick reply, bb!
I'm going to go and buy it now :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 19:45
My mgmat book says I have acres to the 6 cat and the bonus question bank for the book I bought. Just FYI the book gives u acess to both. Bought books through amazon

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 12:57
<digging old grave>

So I'll get access to 6 MGMAT CAT tests id I buy any of the strategy book worth $29 something. And the same 6 tests are sold separately for $70 ??

I'm missing something right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 13:08
Doesn't matter. Got the answer.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 13:17
Expert's post
Just in case for others - Yes, that's correct and pretty cool!
You can get access to the tests even if you purchase an e-book!

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 15:34
piyatiwari wrote:
<digging old grave>

So I'll get access to 6 MGMAT CAT tests id I buy any of the strategy book worth $29 something. And the same 6 tests are sold separately for $70 ??

I'm missing something right?

Or... just for $10 with Kindle version :) ssshhhh....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 19:08
abhicoolmax wrote:

Or... just for $10 with Kindle version :) ssshhhh....

Really?? Cancelling my old order! FINALLY something is cheaper in Kindle version!

Thanks Abhi!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 16:40
This is awesome. I was just contemplating buying the 6 tests for $70, till I found out about the Kindle option.
Just went ahead and bought myself a SC guide for my Kindle-iPad.

1 more week to go....hoping to take one test each day and improve the score to a 700+
God, be with me :) :twisted:
Re: MGMAT Book (+6 free tests) or 1 year access to MGMAT tests?   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2012, 16:40