Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT CAT: 530, today's GmatPrep test: 550 :( need help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

MGMAT CAT: 530, today's GmatPrep test: 550 :( need help! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 11:31
Hello guys,

I am quite desperate at the moment and really need your advice concerning my strategy, because I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
Some background information:
Materials I'm using: MGMAT quant and verbal guides and OG 13. I took one MGAMT CAT 2 weeks ago and scored 530 and took another gmat prep test today and scored 550. (Q 37, V 28)

I started studying in July with the quant section. I realized that I am lacking all the math basics, so I used the MGMAT guides for some topics. I've gone through all the quant OG problems so far, and I KNOW that I did that quite inefficiently, which means I kinda "rushed" through the problems and explanations. I have certainly improved in many areas, cause i then started focusing on my weak areas and solved many practice problems, but I am still not able to score a decent score in the quant part. (Quant score in GMAT prep was 37)
My main issue is that I have a lot of problems with the approach of certain problems/topics. + TIME is probably also one of my biggest issues. As soon as I get into a tightly timed exam, I am starting to rush without really thinking about what I am doing or what I would be supposed to do.

I really need some advice how to improve quant. The forum is really helpful, but there are so many different strategies and resources mentioned, so I am kinda confused.

Should i:
- work through the quant review?
- work through the OG problems again?
- only focus on my really weak areas? (I don't really know whether I have real weak areas since I am lacking knowledge in almost all of the topics)

How can I most efficiently work on my basics? I am not good at reading books when it comes to math and memorize certain concepts, I need to practice in order to understand the concepts.
I wanted to take the exam on September 20, but thats not working I guess. I think I will give myself another 1,5-2 month and take the exam in the end of October, since I don't feel confident at all at the moment. I am struggling with basic stuff, like working with exponents/roots/fractions etc.

My weak area in Verbal is SC. I am pretty good at CR, only had 1 question wrong in the prep test. RC could also be improved, but I think thats a question of concentration.

I already referred to this thread, which consists of some good advice in my opinion: 510-to-770-49q-46v-7ir-what-worked-for-me-2-years-176580.html
and the poster had a similar situation as I'm having now.
So I think I know how to approach verbal: I will just go again through the MGMAT SC book and practice the problems which are available in the forum + the OG verbal review problems (in all 3 sections). Since I haven't studied that much for verbal so far, I will put my focus on SC.

However, I have no idea how to tackle the quant part? I am really desperate because I've studied for quite a long time now, but obviously it was very inefficient :(
Are the "extra" chapters (always the last ones in the books) in the MGMAT quant books a good resource? Cause I think the MGMAT books are good books, but sometimes I feel that they don't really help much when it comes to solving official problems.

I'd really appreciate some expert's insights!
Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 6

Re: MGMAT CAT: 530, today's GmatPrep test: 550 :( need help! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 14:43
Expert's post
lou34,
It sounds like you need some help with quant. The books alone don't work. You've self-studied. You need a different perspective by now. You need someone to show you how it's done, how to get that "aha" moment while solving a quant question, so you can quickly go down the right path.

If you've already done OG questions, you might think that you need additional practice questions. Some truth in that but don't discount the OG questions just yet. I'd get started by checking out some of the video explanations for OG with the GMAT Pill OG tracker -- where you can see the questions starred have video explanations that walk you through solving the question quickly in a first-person view. This first-person view is exactly how you'll see and feel the question when you take the real exam in front of the computer. So try it out -- for some quant questions you'll immediately see how you can better solve the question.

Hope that helps!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: MGMAT CAT: 530, today's GmatPrep test: 550 :( need help! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 22:26
Thanks for the advice.

So should i review ALL the OG questions and watch the video explanations?
I probably should have done that in the first place because it was a waste of time going through the OG without any improvements :(
Should I then also go through the quant review?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: MGMAT CAT: 530, today's GmatPrep test: 550 :( need help!   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2014, 22:26