Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT CAT Query

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 60

GMAT Tests User
MGMAT CAT Query [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 04:41
Hi All,

I have been preparing for GMAT for the last 3 months. I have completed the MGMAT guides (all 7) and have also just finished the OG-12.

I scored a 670 (Q47, V34) on the MGMAT 1 and a 690 (Q47, V37) on the MGMAT 2.

Now my question to you folks is that although I am extremely happy and satisfied with these scores, they look bloody inflated to me. I got 14 wrong in Quant and 16 wrong in Verbal, also got 4 wrong in a row, and also 4-5 wrong in the first 10(ended up with a 690).

Just want to check with the champs here, if the MGMAT scoring is completely in sync with the real GMAT.

Thanks a lot.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT CAT Query [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
Many people report MGMAT as more difficult than the real thing. That, and strike rate alone is meaningless. You must combine accuracy with difficulty to get a better understanding of your score.

Take a GMATPrep test to get a more accurate view. If you're in the same range and happy with the results, go for it.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 7

Re: MGMAT CAT Query [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Karan,

Scores on the GMAT are not based on the percentage of questions answered correctly. Tests you took in school were generally based on percentage of questions correct: the more you got right, the higher the score you received. As a result,
we have been trained to take our time and try to get everything right when we take a test. This general strategy does
not work well on computer-adaptive tests such as the GMAT. On the GMAT, most people actually answer similar
percentages of questions correctly, typically in the 50% to 70% range (even at high scoring levels).

If test-takers all get a similar percentage correct, how does the GMAT distinguish among different performance
levels? “Regular” school tests gave everyone the same questions and performance was determined based upon percentage correct. On the GMAT, everybody answers different questions, some easier, some harder. You can think of
the GMAT as a test that searches for each person’s “60% level,” or the difficulty range in which the person is able to
answer approximately 60% of the questions correctly. (This is not exactly what happens, but it’s a good way to think
of the difference between “regular” tests and computer-adaptive tests.) Your score will be determined by the difficulty of the questions that you answer correctly versus the difficulty of those that you answer incorrectly.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 60

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT CAT Query [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 20:35
mohater- Thank you for replying. Yes, GMATprep seems to be the most accurate evaluation but I want to save it till the last 3 weeks before the exam.

Matt- Thanks for a wonderful description of the GMAT scoring. Your post has helped me get a nice clear picture of the GMAT scoring.

[PS: Apologies for not using the best language on my original post (read "bloody") but I am sure you can understand how frustrating 60 hours of work, 15 hours of studying, and living in Shanghai without knowing mandarin can be.]
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: MGMAT CAT Query [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 01:05
come on dude. u're complaining about living in Shanghai? I spent 2 years shuttling back btwn HK / Shanghai / Beijing / Shenzhen and they were the best 2 years of my life. Its really like the wild west down there. :) Work is cutthroat but the Chinese really know how to party.
Manager
Manager
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 10

Re: MGMAT CAT Query [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 08:11
MGMAT might put out some some good books but their CAT is not very accurate, at least with the limited sample that I've observed (myself). The week before my GMAT, I did:

GMATPrep 1: 770
MGMAT 3: 630 <--- WTF ... this was pretty much my MGMAT 1 diagnostic score, and created moment of self doubt two days before the real test.
GMATPrep 2: 730 <--- Confirmation of true ability

On the real GMAT I got 750.
Re: MGMAT CAT Query   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2011, 08:11