Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 00:59
I recently scored pretty decently in a MGMAT CAT. While I only reached a 63% Q percentile, I hit the 83rd percentile for Verbal. As most of you know, a higher Verbal score means a more than a higher quant score when it comes to final GMAT calculation. So I was wondering how the MGMAT verbal fares, when compared to actual GMAT verbal?

I've heard the MGMAT quant section is a bit tougher than the actual GMAT which is all well and good, it just means I might be better prepped to tackle actual quant but what about verbal? I hope its not easier...
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 01:16
can anyone help out? it would really help if you guys could post ur MGMATCAT verbal scores and ur actual GMAT / Prep scores?
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 689

Kudos [?]: 3025 [0], given: 890

Re: MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 11:27
Expert's post
Ideally, you should not bother about scoring correlation.
My advice is that the gmatprep test is the ONLY accurate indicator of your performance.
MGMAT tests are great because they offer a huge scope of reviewing perfectly.
Take your tests to gauge your stamina and to engage yourself in the grueling procedure.
However if you still want something concrete use the gmatclub score calculator.
Also you can browse through the "share gmat experiences" thread. Most of the posters post their MGMAT CAT scores there.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 22:21
I too feel that many MGCAT quant questions are lengthy and require too much calculation.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 06:59
MGMAT is great resource for practice but it's verbal is easier compared with real GMAT. It is not very tough to crack MGMAT's verbal if one has read MGMAT SC book thoroughly. Real GMAT verbal questions are more complex and lengthy. I was coring in 90 percentile and above in MGMAT's practice tests but in Real GMAT I could get 68 percentile only.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V25
GPA: 3.46
WE: Marketing (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal? [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 20:53
The mgmat verbal is much easier than the mgmat. Without studying I got v31 and worked my way up to v38 on mgmat. On the real gmat I got v25. The questions were much more difficult especially SC. Mgmat seems to test 1 or two sc concepts in a question (subject verb, parallel, etc...) but on the real test it felt like every question was testing idioms plus verb tense and all the other stuff. I felt very under prepared in verbal after mgmat tests

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 337 [0], given: 5

Re: MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 06:36
Expert's post
Be careful about how much credence you get to scores on practice exams. The purpose of the practice exams is to show you roughly how you are performing and provide insight into the areas where you most need to improve. The MGMAT CATs are decent approximations of the real GMAT, but they are not the real GMAT. The Verbal section on the MGMAT does a good job testing how well you will perform on the GMAT Verbal (especially as it relates to the lessons taught in the Strategy Guides), but you will notice some differences on SC. The GMAC (the company that administers the GMAT) stated last year that they were making some changes to SC. They said they would be reducing the number of problems that test "Americanized" idioms and increasing those that test meaning. Since those changes are recent and ongoing, it will take time for MGMAT CATs to fully incorporate those GMAT changes. That said, the MGMAT CATs are still remarkable practice and diagnostic tools, just recognize that they are practices and not the main event.

Take GMATPrep exams to get your best approximation of your test ability on the real GMAT. Even on the GMATPrep exams, you should be scoring 20-30 points higher than your goal score to feel comfortable that you will hit your goal score on the actual GMAT.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: MGMAT CAT Verbal compared to actual GMAT Verbal?   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2012, 06:36