Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT CAT vs. GMAT Prep CAT.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MGMAT CAT vs. GMAT Prep CAT. [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 14:48
I have a bit of a dilemma... I took the GMATPrep practice test last week (but it was last year's version) and scored a 770 (Q50 V46). Today I wanted to check to see if I would do well again, so I took an MGMAT CAT and got a 650 (Q43 V36). I am kind of distressed about why there was such a large discrepancy in my scores, even though there was no difference in my demeanor when I took the tests. Any thoughts as to why this could be the case? Also which score is likely more reflective of my future performance?

My test date is Aug. 31st, and after I scored the 770, I was thinking about moving it up by about a week so I can get rocking with my applications. But now after getting the 650, I am really alarmed. My goal is to get at least a 700. Should I move up my test, or should I be really concerned about the MGMAT score and prep longer? Thanks so much for any advice or help with this.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

Re: MGMAT CAT vs. GMAT Prep CAT. [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 18:34
Even though your demeanor was perceived as similar, the sample size here is only one test. You could have gotten an easier pool of questions in the first test and an abnormally hard set of questions in the second. It may be a good idea to take 2 or 3 more Mgmat tests to get a better average. I'm sure they will trend upwards if you've reached 770 in any CAT prep test.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT CAT vs. GMAT Prep CAT. [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 21:41
sdchica13 wrote:
I have a bit of a dilemma... I took the GMATPrep practice test last week (but it was last year's version) and scored a 770 (Q50 V46). Today I wanted to check to see if I would do well again, so I took an MGMAT CAT and got a 650 (Q43 V36). I am kind of distressed about why there was such a large discrepancy in my scores, even though there was no difference in my demeanor when I took the tests. Any thoughts as to why this could be the case? Also which score is likely more reflective of my future performance?

My test date is Aug. 31st, and after I scored the 770, I was thinking about moving it up by about a week so I can get rocking with my applications. But now after getting the 650, I am really alarmed. My goal is to get at least a 700. Should I move up my test, or should I be really concerned about the MGMAT score and prep longer? Thanks so much for any advice or help with this.

Hi sdchicha, Welcome to gmat club! :)

I still believe gmat prep is the best estimator of your scores. Also, you are the best judge of your scores. I hope after reviewing your gmat prep questions, you know now that how many were random guesses & how many were your logical answers. If you have hardly two or three random guesses then your gmat prep score is most near to actual abilities. As far as MGMAT CATs are concerned, there is a general agreement that these CATs are a bit harder than real gmat. You can also go through this thread for more details manhattan-gmat-tests-vs-real-gmat-scores-78074.html

Keep us posted & Best of luck! :)

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: MGMAT CAT vs. GMAT Prep CAT.   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2010, 21:41