Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [3]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: MGMAT guide books difference in editions [#permalink]
Hi bb,

As always, thanks for an awesome comparison. Appreciate if you could answer a quick question: I am planning to retake GMAT after a gap of 2 years and currently using Powerscore CR Bible (red cover version aka before 2015). Is it worth buying the MGMAT CR book? Also, is there any substantial improvement in terms of more content/new strategies in MGMAT Quant Guides (6th ed) from 4th Ed (currently using)?

P.S. I scored 600 in first attempt and aiming 700+ now.

bb wrote:
Hi. The biggest changes are the question tables since 4th edition is for the OG 12 and we are on OG 15 and about to get OG 16.
Also, you will get the IR book with 6th edition. I think you should get the new edition. And if you search, you will find 4th vs. 5th edition here too.

~~~ Comparison of the 5th edition vs 6th edition. ~~~
I have gone through all of the books and here is how it looks:
Overall, all books have undergone some degree of updating; not just slapping a new cover as some providers do, so you will be better of buying the 6th if you are deciding. If you own the 5th edition already, I would recommend getting only the IR and RC books, however as they have undergone the most transformation. The rest is organized better (more logical); it will help those who are short on time; the pages now also have more graphs, charts, and cheat sheets at the end (a number of books added this feature including Geometry and CR).
IR - substantial changes and improvements - the book needed them, and is now split by question type and organized a lot better
Quant - mostly minor updates (less than 10% new content)
RC - Major update
SC - Restructure with the main difference is that the idiom section is cut down and rewrite of most chapters (more than 20% of content updated)
CR - Improvements in text-heavy areas that put people to sleep before. Cheat sheets added after each chapter. I do like pre-thinking, however, in CR, so I still feel that CR book can be improved.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ssagar,

Since it sounds like you're just getting back into your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can re-familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores when you scored 600?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot