Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT = Kaplan!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

MGMAT = Kaplan! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 08:58
Hi all,

I took several MGMAT CAT and several Kaplan CAT and was surprised to see that several identical questions in the Quant section appeared in both CAT (Kaplan and MGMAT)

The questions were exactly the same except for the numbers....My question is: How can someone say that the Quant in MGMAT is harder than that of Kaplan?
I did all the Kaplan CAT and scored between 610 and 660
Did the GMAT prep test and got 700 both time... My target score is >650 but I wonder if i'm going to make it!

Is the quant on the real GMAT tougher than the one in KAPLAN?

Regards,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: MGMAT = Kaplan! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 15:24
Interesting... I didn't realize that Kaplan and MGMAT were sharing questions. Kaplan (which is, in turn, owned by the Washington Post) bought Manhattan GMAT a few years ago, but they promised that they would keep the operations of the two companies separate. As far as I've been able to tell, the two companies are still taking very different approaches to their GMAT curriculum and materials, but maybe that's starting to change?

Historically, Kaplan and MGMAT have employed very different question banks and algorithms on their CAT tests. Most of my students feel that both MGMAT and Kaplan tests *feel* harder than the actual exam, but their scores tend to be much lower on the Kaplan tests. But again, maybe those score differences are vanishing if the companies are going through some sort of curriculum merger.

For what it's worth, the MGMAT tests tend to be pretty accurate on average. But some students end up doing much better on the real thing than on MGMAT CATs, and others do much worse, depending on how comfortable they are with MGMAT's writing style.

But don't stress too much about the Kaplan scores--you'll meet plenty of people whose Kaplan scores were far lower than their actual scores on the GMAT.

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT = Kaplan! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 11:46
Expert's post
Hi Maxswe,

If I had to guess, the "identical except for the numbers" problems were probably both designed independently, but were both designed to be similar to the same real GMAT problem from one of the Official Guides!

Eli

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: MGMAT = Kaplan!   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2012, 11:46