Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT RC book?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 115

Reviews Badge
MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 13:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
I just got the MGMAT RC guide. But, I felt that there are too many strategies and implementing them might be hard.

Any reviews on the MGMAT RC book?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 57
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 3

Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 00:25
2
This post received
KUDOS
I have always found RC to be a problem area. Even after doing all the strategies from different books (I did Kaplan & Manhattan) it still was not translating into correct answers. Then a fellow member suggested I try doing more practice passages.

Have been doing 3 passages everyday for the last one week and must say if nothing else at least my confidence level has improved. I don't get scared when I see a long unfamiliar pasage anymore. Hopefully the accuracy will also go up too :roll:

Quote:
I plan to move to RC 99 after finishing this book.

+1. This is the book I am using. I do 1 easy, 1 medium and 1 difficult passage everyday. Good practice resource.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 14

Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 23:04
2
This post received
KUDOS
If you are not a native English speaker and dont naturally have good success rate in RCs, following the strategies usually helps, at least in the beginning. Later on, you might start to follow the strategies in your mind only, not on paper. Also, nothing can beat a natural talent. If you have time, go for gmat fiction books in the forums.

All the best.
_________________

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful. Even otherwise :D
Please feel free to point out any errors in whatever I post.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 15:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Oh, very good question.

Aside from such sources as Amazon's website (reviews found here) and GMATClub's short overview, I don't think that there has been any detailed post solely dedicated to a review on this product. That's a shame, since this is the only GMAT-specific guide for RC (the Powerscore RC Bible is actually an LSAT book, although there is a review for it).

From what I gather, the MGMAT RC book is decent, but nothing extraordinary. It doesn't seem to be on the same level as Manhattan's SC or CR guides. But since you already have the guidebook, it's definitely worth reviewing. If you find that there is too much information in this book, though, re-reading is hopefully an option. I found this strategy particularly helpful for the verbal books. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12344
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9436 [1] , given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 21:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It was the only RC book on the market for a long time. Now there is a Veritas RC book. There is also a chapter/section in the Kaplan verbal but other than that, not a whole lot of GMAT RC resources...
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 04:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
foofighter5 wrote:
I have always found RC to be a problem area. Even after doing all the strategies from different books (I did Kaplan & Manhattan) it still was not translating into correct answers. Then a fellow member suggested I try doing more practice passages.

I agree with the last sentence. I found that lots of RC practice was good preparation. LSAT RC passages are especially beneficial, as they are longer and generally more complex.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
User avatar
Status: Three Down.
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1879
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1415 [1] , given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 21:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
I recently took the GMAT and I firmly believe that there's ONE strategy that'll guarantee accuracy in answering questions - reading the passage thoroughly. Reading the passage point by point so you understand the flow of events, author's opinions, counter-reactive opinions, any changes in structure etc will definitely help you answer the questions. Trying to remember countless strategies is definitely not the way to go. You can, however, apply the strategies learnt in the CR section to RC questions by means of elimination of extravagant answer choices and so on.

The MGMAT RC and CR book are both too strategy/rule oriented for me.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2010
Posts: 99
Location: Australia
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 15

Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 17:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
After reading the first 2 chapters of the MGMAT CR guide - I feel like you can translate some of the CR learnings into RC.

Diagramming is a really good technique on CR - and I couldn't imagine it being any different for RC. The trick to RC is "active reading". For some people, RC is very natural, and for others it's more difficult. Practice, Practice, Practice!

Give the Diagramming Technique a go, and see how you go :)
_________________

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 07:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
MackyCee wrote:
After reading the first 2 chapters of the MGMAT CR guide - I feel like you can translate some of the CR learnings into RC.

Diagramming is a really good technique on CR - and I couldn't imagine it being any different for RC. The trick to RC is "active reading". For some people, RC is very natural, and for others it's more difficult. Practice, Practice, Practice!

Give the Diagramming Technique a go, and see how you go :)

MackyCee, +1 to you. Thanks. Yes, the diagramming technique of CR does work pretty well for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 17:02
bmillan01 wrote:
Oh, very good question.

Aside from such sources as Amazon's website (reviews found here) and GMATClub's short overview, I don't think that there has been any detailed post solely dedicated to a review on this product. That's a shame, since this is the only GMAT-specific guide for RC (the Powerscore RC Bible is actually an LSAT book, although there is a review for it).

From what I gather, the MGMAT RC book is decent, but nothing extraordinary. It doesn't seem to be on the same level as Manhattan's SC or CR guides. But since you already have the guidebook, it's definitely worth reviewing. If you find that there is too much information in this book, though, re-reading is hopefully an option. I found this strategy particularly helpful for the verbal books. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

bmillan, Thank You for your prompt input.+1 to you :) . You were definitely helpful!

I too found the book just decent and nothing more. Infact, I think the MGMAT CR book is better than Powerscore,although some may disagree. This RC book is not as good as the MGMAT CR book. I think, I"ll just continue going through it. I plan to move to RC 99 after finishing this book.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 17:29
I think it's a waste of paper. I did worse after reading this book...My RC question accuracy went down dramatically. I spent so much time trying to do their strategies that I actually understood less of the passage. I think it would be helpful for someone who is not a native speaker or for passages with very difficult wording.

However, I am very fast reader and did not have problems in the RC area to begin with. I was only trying to further improve my accuracy. I do think that the CR book was very helpful, however.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 08:06
bb,foofighter and bmillan - thanks for your inputs!
For me, RC was my worst performance on my REAL GMAT last time. It completely got me and that's how I landed a 490!
so,I'm going to go through the MGMAT RC book - anyway,I have purchases it - and then do RC passages from RC 99. I have 2.5 months to go :P

EDIT:Kudos +1 to each of you :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 14:51
whiplash2411 wrote:
The MGMAT RC and CR book are both too strategy/rule oriented for me.
Exactly! I too had the same feel on the book. Anyway,I'm completing reading it now because I have it. When I get to solving some GMAT problems,I"ll know if I am able to apply the rules or not. I found Powerscore CR to be a great book so far.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 72
Location: Kolkata, India
Schools: ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 01:13
In contrary in Verbal My strong point is accuracy in RC in practice tests, almost 90%.
I have never followed MGMAT or Powerscore RC guide, I have gone through GMAT club RC strategies & practice.

For CR, my recommendation is definitely Powerscore CR Bible
_________________

If Life's a Game, I Play it in my way

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 07:23
subhabrata1986 wrote:
+1. For CR, my recommendation is definitely Powerscore CR Bible
The book just arrived in mail yesterday and I am already in love with it (I just glanced through it)

Last edited by heygirl on 05 Jan 2011, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 07:26
jagveerbrar wrote:
If you are not a native English speaker and dont naturally have good success rate in RCs, following the strategies usually helps, at least in the beginning. Later on, you might start to follow the strategies in your mind only, not on paper. Also, nothing can beat a natural talent. If you have time, go for gmat fiction books in the forums.

All the best.

+1. Yes, I am already doing GMAT fiction. I can understand the passages well but when it comes to answering questions, I get stumped!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 09:56
heygirl wrote:
jagveerbrar wrote:
If you are not a native English speaker and dont naturally have good success rate in RCs, following the strategies usually helps, at least in the beginning. Later on, you might start to follow the strategies in your mind only, not on paper. Also, nothing can beat a natural talent. If you have time, go for gmat fiction books in the forums.

All the best.

+1. Yes, I am already doing GMAT fiction. I can understand the passages well but when it comes to answering questions, I get stumped!


You might be paying too much attention to each and every detail of the passage, including the facts. GMAT rarely asks questions based upon precise details of the passage. Regarding facts, its more important to understand why a certain fact is stated in the passage than to remember the details of the fact. For eg, you may see questions such as "The author alludes to xyz in order to:".
Try to focus on the flow of the passage, assumptions, conclusions, author's intent etc.
_________________

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful. Even otherwise :D
Please feel free to point out any errors in whatever I post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 13:50
jagveerbrar wrote:
Try to focus on the flow of the passage, assumptions, conclusions, author's intent etc.

I know! I need to start working on this .
Re: MGMAT RC book?   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2011, 13:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic MGMAT books vwjetty 3 07 Jul 2010, 21:19
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic MGMAT RC Material Good cebenez 3 07 Jul 2010, 13:10
Experts publish their posts in the topic MGMAT Books chicagocubsrule 6 09 Jul 2009, 21:17
MGMAT RC and CR techniques sonibubu 5 02 Dec 2007, 17:58
MGMAT book financeguy 1 08 Sep 2007, 17:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MGMAT RC book?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.