Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 23:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
MGMAT just released this, and i was wondering what happens to test scores taken 2-4 weeks ago? Do we deduct 20 points of the test score?

CAT Recalibration – August 29, 2012
We have recalibrated our CAT scoring. CATs taken AFTER 11:00 AM EDT on August 29, 2012 are scored according to the new calibration. Older CAT scores are unaffected.

Why are scores being recalibrated?
We periodically recalibrate to have our CAT scores correspond to actual GMAT scores as closely as possible. In addition, the percentiles in our system now match the latest percentiles published by GMAC (earlier this month). These percentiles, especially on the quant side, are undergoing significant shifts.

What is the effect of the recalibration?
New MGMAT Quant subscores, on average, are lower by approximately 1 point.
New MGMAT Verbal subscores, on average, are lower by approximately 1-2 points.
New MGMAT Overall scores, on average, are lower by approximately 18 points.*

What does this mean for me?
When you compare older practice scores to practice scores generated after noon on August 29th, you should subtract 1-2 points from each old subscore and about 15-20 points from the old overall score, to get a rough sense of how you would have done under the new scoring.
We know that this is a significant recalibration, one that impacts your sense of your progress. We’re committed to making our CATs ever better over time.

*Note: An earlier measurement of the effect of the recalibration overestimated the average impact on subscores by 1-2 points and on overall scores by ~9 points.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 18:14
Looks like it says, on average, you did 15-20 points worse on prior tests. Seems like bad news to me. I'm more interested in the GMAC report on the shift in percentile brackets and how that affects future test takers (me). If there's a large shift in Quant, then I'm guessing that a Q48 may barely make the 80% level most schools are looking for. In fact, I'd venture to say that it misses the 80% mark. Crap.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 12:33
RoyHalladay wrote:
If there's a large shift in Quant, then I'm guessing that a Q48 may barely make the 80% level most schools are looking for. In fact, I'd venture to say that it misses the 80% mark. Crap.

Could that really happen so easily? Q48 is now 84%, if I am not wrong.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 16:49
highdiving wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
If there's a large shift in Quant, then I'm guessing that a Q48 may barely make the 80% level most schools are looking for. In fact, I'd venture to say that it misses the 80% mark. Crap.

Could that really happen so easily? Q48 is now 84%, if I am not wrong.

I had to verify, and Q48 is currently 78%. Do schools look at GMAT score by score or by percentage? A GMAT of 48Q/40V 4-5 years would probably be in a significantly higher percentile. How do schools take this into consideration?

http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/gmat-scores ... means.aspx
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 01:56
I checked on the OG12. My mistake, those scaled percentiles are probaly really old by now.

Posted from my mobile device Image

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 11:54
qweert wrote:
MGMAT just released this, and i was wondering what happens to test scores taken 2-4 weeks ago? Do we deduct 20 points of the test score?

That's right. We recalibrate CAT scoring about once every year so that we can predict your real GMAT scores as accurately as possible. Please contact our Student Services department at studentservices@manhattangmat.com or 800-576-4628 for more information.

Best,
Matt

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 04:53
I scored a 630 (40, 36) today.

Recalibration applies to the scores received before 29th Aug , right?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 14:25
sachindia wrote:
I scored a 630 (40, 36) today.

Recalibration applies to the scores received before 29th Aug , right?

CATs taken after 11:00 AM EDT on August 29, 2012 are scored according to the new calibration. Older CAT scores are unaffected. Here's the original message from our website:

"CAT Recalibration – August 29, 2012
We have recalibrated our CAT scoring. CATs taken AFTER 11:00 AM EDT on August 29, 2012 are scored according to the new calibration. Older CAT scores are unaffected.

Why are scores being recalibrated?
We periodically recalibrate to have our CAT scores correspond to actual GMAT scores as closely as possible. In addition, the percentiles in our system now match the latest percentiles published by GMAC (earlier this month). These percentiles, especially on the quant side, are undergoing significant shifts.

What is the effect of the recalibration?
New MGMAT Quant subscores, on average, are lower by approximately 1 point.
New MGMAT Verbal subscores, on average, are lower by approximately 1-2 points.
New MGMAT Overall scores, on average, are lower by approximately 18 points.*

What does this mean for me?
When you compare older practice scores to practice scores generated after noon on August 29th, you should subtract 1-2 points from each old subscore and about 15-20 points from the old overall score, to get a rough sense of how you would have done under the new scoring.
We know that this is a significant recalibration, one that impacts your sense of your progress. We’re committed to making our CATs ever better over time.

*Note: An earlier measurement of the effect of the recalibration overestimated the average impact on subscores by 1-2 points and on overall scores by ~9 points"

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: MGMAT Recalibration of CAT scoring?   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2012, 14:25