Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

mgmat sc gudie..confusing?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

mgmat sc gudie..confusing? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 06:46
hi...i just started with the mgmat sc guide book am on the 6th chapter....somehow i feel it is a lil unclear...or is because the level of mgmat is too high for me :S plus there arent too many examples to actually show what they are saying...should i try powerscore? is that any better....
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Re: mgmat sc gudie..confusing? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 08:08
Take it slowly. Consensus is that no book in market beats MGMAT SC. Read some grammar book before jumping to MGMAT SC, if you feel it's unclear. It will start making sense after couple of readings.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: mgmat sc gudie..confusing? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 12:37
zzxxdd wrote:
hi...i just started with the mgmat sc guide book am on the 6th chapter....somehow i feel it is a lil unclear...or is because the level of mgmat is too high for me :S plus there arent too many examples to actually show what they are saying...should i try powerscore? is that any better....

Hello zzxxdd,

Can you be a little more specific?

There is a general complaint about MGMAT SC that it relies too heavily on the Official Guide and OG Verbal.

best-gmat-verbal-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-78094.html

Also, what version of the MGMAT SC do you have? There is a significant difference between the 3rd and 4th ed books.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: mgmat sc gudie..confusing? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 22:27
o dear.... i have the latest version the 4th edition that has prac questions from OG 12...

by confusing i mean...the text goes on and on with very few infact one single example or at times no example of what they are saying...i really liked their guide on RC, hav the cr guide but have used powerscore instead and loved it ! but this one seems a drag! or is it because i m not a native speaker :S...but i know my grammar isnt that bad...
i thought about getting powerscore sc but i hav read reviews saying that mgmat is much better....do u think i should refer to some other book before studying from mgmat sc?
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: mgmat sc gudie..confusing? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 07:06
zzxxdd wrote:
o dear.... i have the latest version the 4th edition that has prac questions from OG 12...

by confusing i mean...the text goes on and on with very few infact one single example or at times no example of what they are saying...i really liked their guide on RC, hav the cr guide but have used powerscore instead and loved it ! but this one seems a drag! or is it because i m not a native speaker :S...but i know my grammar isnt that bad...
i thought about getting powerscore sc but i hav read reviews saying that mgmat is much better....do u think i should refer to some other book before studying from mgmat sc?

I doubt not being a native speaker is the problem. The text is very LONG, but it provides the rules needed to solve the problems. It also has a VERY long list of idioms.

If you want a toned down version of MGMAT SC, try to score a third ed copy (but you will need 11ed OG and 1st ed Official Verbal).

Maybe the "beefed" up content is too much for you and you want more practice problems and examples?

I benefited greatly from the revised 3rd ed (same as the 4th ed, but refers to the 11ed OG and 1st ed Official Verbal). I also had the normal 3rd ed and preferred the "beefed" up version.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Intern
Intern

Re: mgmat sc gudie..confusing? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 08:12
i hav a copy of the third ed...maybe i can go over that frst and then complement it with the 4th one...?

also i wanted to know...am planning to take the gmat early to mid november...so far i havnt taken any prac test hav just gone through rc and cr guides along with the questions in the review books...i am planning to get done with math this week and take a test in abt 7 days time...do u think thats ok? or is that too late and i should take a test now?
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: mgmat sc gudie..confusing? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 08:57
You have plenty of time to get practice tests in.

We normally recommend people take a practice exam as a diagnostic test to create his/her study plan, but you're well past that point.

Taking a test in 7 days is fine. Just remember: don't burn out on practice tests. Taking practice test after practice test is not always useful and you might burn out.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9473 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: mgmat sc gudie..confusing? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 14:21
Expert's post
You can ask Emily or Michael here if you have any specific MGMAT questions: manhattan-gmat-class-discount-everything-about-mgmat-84213.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: mgmat sc gudie..confusing?   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2009, 14:21