Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: UVA Darden
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Sat: V
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-22-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: MGMAT SC question [#permalink]
your thought that you must modify the word that comes after the comma only applies to modifying phrases. The part before the comma in this sentence is a complete clause, meaning it has a subject and a verb, and therefore is not describing something else in the sentence. Thus, the rule that the thing that is modified must come immediately after the comma is not in play here.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Expert Reply
talhasaleem1990 wrote:
This question is taken from MGMAT Sentence Correction book.

a)She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, every day watering the more than 50 plants in her yard.

b)She is the most dedicated gardener on the block,every day watering more than the 50 plants in her yard

C) Neither is correct.

The answer is A. I feel weird putting 'everyday' right after the comma mark. I was thinking something along the lines of :

She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, watering the more than 50 plants in her yard everyday.

I want to know if there is something wrong with how I am thinking. In such sentences I thought that what we use after the comma should relate to the subject directly.

I agree that the placement of "every day" is a bit awkward, though not grammatically wrong. We could move the placement of "every day" to various parts of the sentence and still preserve the intent. If we are thinking in GMAT strategy terms, we shouldn't complain about the placement of "every day" because both options include that placement. We have to shift our focus to the variations in the choices - in this case the placement of "more than" (see this post for a discussion on that issue: use-of-the-after-verb-ing-153767.html).

As to your question on modifiers, this particular structure (comma + modifying phrase) creates an adverbial modifier, which doesn't directly modify the subject (subjects are modified by noun modifiers). Adverbial modifiers will modify the verb, another modifier or the entire preceding clause. Here, "every day watering..." modifies the entire preceding clause to show how she is the most dedicated gardner on the block.

On the GMAT, this particular adverbial modifier structure will most often include a present participle (ING form of the verb) directly after the comma, so you won't often have to deal with the awkwardness you saw here with the inclusion of "every day" before "watering".

KW
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts