Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT score higher than actual test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 32

MGMAT score higher than actual test [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 19:09
i constantly see stories of folks on here that score pretty high on their MGMAT but then come test time they end up much much lower. Yet, I see others that say MGMAT tests are as hard if not harder than actual GMAT. Why is there such a discrepancy? It has me quite nervous in terms of my first exam (in a week) that I will bomb it altogether.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MGMAT score higher than actual test [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 12:12
From what I have seen MGMAT tests 1-3 are accurate and 4-6 are inflated. Compare actual GMAT scores with MGMAT 1-3.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 3

Re: MGMAT score higher than actual test [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 13:22
AbhiJ wrote:
From what I have seen MGMAT tests 1-3 are accurate and 4-6 are inflated. Compare actual GMAT scores with MGMAT 1-3.

Do you know why 4-6 would be inflated ? I was under the impression that as long as you didn't see any repeat questions on your MGMAT test, all of them were an equally fair representation

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT score higher than actual test [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 06:23
But i have heard that MGMAT CATS 5-6 are more close to the level in terms of diffculty that you may see on the actual one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT score higher than actual test [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 07:58
The problem is that people get good at taking the MGMAT tests but the real GMAT is slightly different and the math isn't usually as convaluted as it is in MGMAT tests. The trick is to do as many actual gmat problems as you can and to then go over your errors to make sure that you don't make them any more. The difference between the GMAT and MGMAT exams is something like the difference between playing full court five on five basketball and playing 21 (I'm going to assume that you know what it is... if not you might want to google it). The skills are mostly transferable between both sports but if you train for 5 on five then your solo 21 game will probably be good but not as good as it could be if you had trained for 21 and used 5 on 5 full court as a means to focus on certain skills sometimes.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '15

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: MGMAT score higher than actual test [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 07:58
While people will (correctly) focus on the Quant, the verbal is also very different. MGMAT tests allow for significantly more errors than GMAT Prep/Actual Gmat while still giving you harder questions. I believe I got a V45 with around 12 wrong on MGMAT, and this will almost never happen on the real test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT score higher than actual test [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 19:04
DJ2012 wrote:
While people will (correctly) focus on the Quant, the verbal is also very different. MGMAT tests allow for significantly more errors than GMAT Prep/Actual Gmat while still giving you harder questions. I believe I got a V45 with around 12 wrong on MGMAT, and this will almost never happen on the real test.

I guess you might be right. They are somewhat different. But I think that mgmat's verbal part is the most accurate at predicting your score. The mode of my verbal scores was 42 and that's exactly what I got on the real exam.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MGMAT score higher than actual test [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 19:59
The initial 3-4 tests of mgmat are harder compared to last ones because they have a limited set of 700 level questions and these questions are exhausted if someone has scored around 700 in first three tests. There is not much variation in the score obtained in gmatprep or mgmat tests( max +/- 30) however the drop in performance during the actual tests is because of test day anxiety, lack of sleep( if one has sleep issues) and exhaustion (lack of stamina ). The abstract issues are as important as the theoretical knowledge.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 82

Re: MGMAT score higher than actual test [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 11:54
i AGREE..!! that was what hapend wid me .. I used to get score more than GMAT Prep and on the t test day... my score was 100 point bellow than MGMAT TEST..and exactly same score as GMAT prep..!!..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Re: MGMAT score higher than actual test   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2012, 11:54