Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 10:46
I just finished taking the Free Online MGMAT Test. My overall results were lower than expected, and I have to say the difficulty of the test was a little surprising. Compared with the GMATPrep tests, I can't say these have the same "feel". My result was an overall score of 670 (42Q, 39V).

Quant: The quant section seemed pretty brutal. I noticed numerous questions that seemed overly complicated or wordy, given the bucket from which they were pulled. I found myself guessing on far more than I am accustomed to, and missed about 6-7 consecutive questions when the algorithm had determined I was at the 700-800 level. Needless to say, it was difficult to recover from this. The overall feel of the problems didn't seem to capture what I've worked through in the OG or the GMATClub Tests. I found MGMAT to be more difficult than both.

Verbal: When I work through difficult GMATPrep or OG verbal questions, I can almost always narrow the correct choices down to 2, and often choose the correct one. I had a much more difficult time doing so during the MGMAT test, and found nearly 4-5 questions where none of the answer choices seemed correct. Some of the sentence correction questions appeared to be very poorly written, and again, none of the available choices seemed to work. The choice that would end up being correct wouldn't seem to be "error-free", but the choice with the least amount of errors. The critical reasoning was much more lengthy than I'm used to seeing, and asked questions in a different way than the official material.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with my score. My last GMATPrep was a 730, and I was hoping to land in the same vicinity with the MGMAT Test. I've seen some claims that one can add 30-40 to estimate the actual score, but this seems a bit high. I have to say I'm doubting whether or not to use these tests during my final month of study. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 16:41
I'd say keep taking MGMAT, but more for practice and understanding concepts and not for getting an estimate of your actual score. Use gmatpreps towards the last 2 weeks of d-day. Good luck.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 19:38
bsd_lover wrote:
I'd say keep taking MGMAT, but more for practice and understanding concepts and not for getting an estimate of your actual score. Use gmatpreps towards the last 2 weeks of d-day. Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback. But, is it a good idea to study my mistakes if I feel some of the errors wouldn't be on the GMAT (since the test questions wouldn't necessarily be representative of the real thing)? In other words, do I just take it and then try to determine which concepts to brush up on rather than making an error log of missed questions?

Thanks again.
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 21:36
I wouldn't worry about it. I also got around a 670 or 680 on my first MGMAT and ended up getting a 750 on the real thing. Just keep pressing on with your study plan.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 22:05
swbluedevil wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. I also got around a 670 or 680 on my first MGMAT and ended up getting a 750 on the real thing. Just keep pressing on with your study plan.

Congrats on a fantastic score! May I ask whether you continued to use the MGMAT tests after the first? If so, what did you do with the test results? Part of me wants to go through and read the explanations, but I'm not sure if I should make an error log like I do with the OG and GMATClub challenge questions I miss. I don't know how many of those questions would be on the real exam.
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 23:27
I took 1 more MGMAT test and got a 720. I would recommend adding the MGMAT questions you missed to your error log- certainly couldn't hurt and you might learn a thing or two. Have you done any GMATPreps yet? I think they are much more worthwhile.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 07:25
swbluedevil wrote:
I took 1 more MGMAT test and got a 720. I would recommend adding the MGMAT questions you missed to your error log- certainly couldn't hurt and you might learn a thing or two. Have you done any GMATPreps yet? I think they are much more worthwhile.

Yes, I have. I took the GMATPrep 1 and scored 640. I made alot of careless errors, and took it again a couple weeks later. I didn't see more than 3-4 repeat questions (and answered them all incorrectly anyhow). My score was 730 (48Q, 42V). I think this is closer to what my current score would be, based upon the number of hard OG questions I typically miss. My hit rate on OG11 verbal (the last questions of each section) is between 80-90%. Likewise with the quant qs. If I add the 30-40 points to my MGMAT score, as some people have suggested to get an indication, I am probably around the 700-710 mark yesterday. I still have a month of studying to go, so I have confidence I can get my score to 750+. My goal for the GMATClub tests is to be 90+ percentile, and when I go through the OG workbook problems, to have a hit rate consistently in 90+% for difficult problems. I'm looking forward to this.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 18:47
MeddlingKid wrote:
Some of the sentence correction questions appeared to be very poorly written, and again, none of the available choices seemed to work.

Wow! Your description of the GMAT practice test is EXACTLY how I would describe it! You quote above I found to be particularly true of the verbal questions, and not just the SC ones.

I haven't taken the GMATprep exams yet, but just from the OG questions I've done, I agree 100% that the MGMAT verbal questions tend to be much more "vague" for lack of a better word. With most of the OG questions I've done, the answer is very obvious after you review them (whether I got them right or wrong). However, with the MGMAT verbal questions, even after reading the explanation, I'm left thinking "hmmmm... I don't know....".

I've been scoring between 650-690 on the three MGMAT practice tests I've done. My verbal has improved by 5 points or so, but my verbal has actually dropped. I hope to get at least 700 on the real deal in two months.

NN

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: MGMAT Test 1: Not pleased   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2008, 18:47