Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 12:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 82

MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat??? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 07:51
Hello Guyzz..

I have read many of the post in which peopl use to day that....MGMAT test are easy and its score is overestimated..

can anyone tell me..?? I got 600 in mgmat test today.. what actual score wud it be if i wud do the same test at GMAT PREP..

few months back..i did mgmat i got 580, and after few days of mgmat i took GMAT PREP TEST AND i got 480 :D

and now one week back i did GMATPREP i got 600..after 2 or 3 days i did MGMAT..i got 580.

confused ...confused..confused..which one is the best to gauge the score..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8858 [1] , given: 3669

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat??? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Usually the mgmat tests are on par wit the real GMAT and GMAT prep.

I did have someone saying mgmat is more difficult (mgmat test 1 in particular).

However, you can get a better picture here: GMAT score calculator.

Hope this helps and adds she's the concerns.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 6

Re: MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat??? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
Some general observations about scoring discrepancies, probably not very pertinent to you but helpful to some other test takers.

MGMAT's (and that of all the other prep companies) scoring algorithm can be VERY off sometimes, depending on factors such as MGMAT's own interpretation of question difficulty, sequence of errors in a row, or the question number at the which the errors are made.

Since PearsonVUE pretty much don't reveal the exact rubrics of their scoring algorithm or CAT systems, the discrepancies between practice scores (be it MGMAT or some other prep company, or even the GMATPrep) and the actual test are not actually very surprising. These prep companies are doing their best to guess your testing level to the best of their abilities, probably with a bigger standard deviation than they might be willing to accept.

In reality, score discrepancies are often indicative that the test takers was not at the scoring level that the practice tests were suggesting and that some fundamental GMAT concepts are missing from the preparation. Bottom line is, unless the test taker was sick or nervous or had some psychological issues or even timing issues, the score that he/she receives on the real test is a reflection of his/her GMAT level. Of course, luck (guessing well on that day or getting fewer questions from your weak areas and more from your fortes) can play a part on test day and can be the difference between a 680 and a 700, or a 750 and a 770, but if you are scoring in the 740s on practice tests and the get 650 on the real test, chances are that you are not yet a 700-level and with good practice you can surely get over that hump, given the potential that you have shown on your practice tests.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 82

Re: MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat??? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 21:46
Thanks BB..that was helpful :) +1 for u

OldFritz wrote:
Some general observations about scoring discrepancies, probably not very pertinent to you but helpful to some other test takers.

MGMAT's (and that of all the other prep companies) scoring algorithm can be VERY off sometimes, depending on factors such as MGMAT's own interpretation of question difficulty, sequence of errors in a row, or the question number at the which the errors are made.

Since PearsonVUE pretty much don't reveal the exact rubrics of their scoring algorithm or CAT systems, the discrepancies between practice scores (be it MGMAT or some other prep company, or even the GMATPrep) and the actual test are not actually very surprising. These prep companies are doing their best to guess your testing level to the best of their abilities, probably with a bigger standard deviation than they might be willing to accept.

In reality, score discrepancies are often indicative that the test takers was not at the scoring level that the practice tests were suggesting and that some fundamental GMAT concepts are missing from the preparation. Bottom line is, unless the test taker was sick or nervous or had some psychological issues or even timing issues, the score that he/she receives on the real test is a reflection of his/her GMAT level. Of course, luck (guessing well on that day or getting fewer questions from your weak areas and more from your fortes) can play a part on test day and can be the difference between a 680 and a 700, or a 750 and a 770, but if you are scoring in the 740s on practice tests and the get 650 on the real test, chances are that you are not yet a 700-level and with good practice you can surely get over that hump, given the potential that you have shown on your practice tests.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

I agree..

that is also luck factor on test day.. bt mock test give u stamina to do the test for continuous three and half hour..so thats gud thing for mock test such as MGMAT AND GMAT PREP..

Thanks alot for ur reply ..i got ur point :)..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 6

Re: MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat??? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
sanjoo wrote:

I agree..

that is also luck factor on test day.. bt mock test give u stamina to do the test for continuous three and half hour..so thats gud thing for mock test such as MGMAT AND GMAT PREP..

Thanks alot for ur reply ..i got ur point :)..

Thanks are nice, but kudos are nicer...

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Re: MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat??? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 00:13
MGMAT full test - does it also include AWA and IR?? Please advise as I intend to take one.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat??? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 00:42
Yes it includes both

saidyuti wrote:
MGMAT full test - does it also include AWA and IR?? Please advise as I intend to take one.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Re: MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat??? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 00:44
I am not ready for AWA and IR? Which tests can I take to check my progress in Quant and Verbal?
Please advise
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 444 [0], given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat??? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 01:19
saidyuti wrote:
I am not ready for AWA and IR? Which tests can I take to check my progress in Quant and Verbal?
Please advise

in future, please create a new thread if your question is not related to the original poster's.

you may start with an MGMAT CAT.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Re: MGMAT TEST vs REAL gmat???   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2013, 01:19