Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT verbal scoring error?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2014, 14:29
Hello All,
Just finished MGMAT CAT 3 and V came in at 39 (88%tile). In the past I was scoring 42 (96%tile) so it is close. What caught my eye was the "estimated percentile" on the results page by question. I was estimated at 99%tile from question 35 through 39, then I missed question 40 and dropped to 92%tile and then I missed 41 and dropped to 88%tile.

My question is how accurate is it to drop so much just by missing the last two questions? It seems by that point the score will be locked in based on the previous 39 questions.

Thoughts?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 184
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 12

Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 19:31
Expert's post
Hi there,

Hope you are doing well in your GMAT prep! I'm not a huge fan of MGMAT verbal and regardless of what statistics they have about how things correlate with the real exam I don't find the scoring algorithm accurate (I feel the same way about the algorithm's of every other "fake practice test" that I have experience with). Regardless, even on a real GMAT practice test getting a few verbal questions wrong in the end can really ding your score. Hope that helps!

Happy studies,

A.
_________________

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html


Last edited by HerrGrau on 12 Apr 2014, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 527
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 337 [1] , given: 5

Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 12:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The previous post made me chuckle.

I think you will find a reasonably accurate correlation between your mgmat verbal scores and the actual test, but recognize that the margin of error is large (+/- 50 points) and that is true of the GMAT prep practice exams.

That said, our exams don't perfectly mimic the scoring algorithms of the GMAT (because those are proprietary). While it is crucial to finish strong on each section, I think our algorithm overstates the impact. As long as your timing is solid and you have sufficient time to answer those final questions, I wouldn't stress over your result on this particular practice exam.

The biggest benefit of our practice exams is to pull data to see where you can improve. Look at your areas of weakness and make those your focus for improvement. When you are ready to gauge your preparedness for the real test take a GMAT prep exam.

KW

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Posts: 45
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 15:22
KyleWiddison wrote:
The previous post made me chuckle.

I think you will find a reasonably accurate correlation between your mgmat verbal scores and the actual test, but recognize that the margin of error is large (+/- 50 points) and that is true of the GMAT prep practice exams.

That said, our exams don't perfectly mimic the scoring algorithms of the GMAT (because those are proprietary). While it is crucial to finish strong on each section, I think our algorithm overstates the impact. As long as your timing is solid and you have sufficient time to answer those final questions, I wouldn't stress over your result on this particular practice exam.

The biggest benefit of our practice exams is to pull data to see where you can improve. Look at your areas of weakness and make those your focus for improvement. When you are ready to gauge your preparedness for the real test take a GMAT prep exam.

KW

Posted from my mobile device Image


I was estimated at the 99%ile for questions 37-39 and then missed questions 40 and 41, both of which were 700+ questions. My %ile dropped from 99% to 88% from just those two questions. According to the GMAT website a 99% score correlates with a V45-51, and an 88% correlates with a V39 (lost at least 6 raw points from those 2 questions alone). I'm not too worried about it, because as KW states above, the MGMAT algorithm overstates the importance of the final questions. I'm probably not sharing anything new to anybody on this forum, but just thought I'd chime in :)
_________________

MGMAT1 - 650 (Q44, V35)
MGMAT2 - 670 (Q42, V39)
MGMAT3 - 640 (Q44, V34)
MGMAT4 - 630 (Q41, V35)
GMATPrep1 - 720 (Q48, V40)
GMATPrep2 - 720 (Q48, V41)
MGMAT5 - 690 (Q45, V39)
GMATPrep3 - 700 (Q47, V39)
GMATPrep4 - 710 (Q49, V38) Got one less question wrong than on my V41, but for some reason got a V38!

Goal: 740 (Q49, V42)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 15:35
Thanks for all of the replies...I hope you are correct that MGMAT algo over states the importance of the last questions.
Here are screenshots of two different examples from my MGMAT CAT experience.

In the first one i miss a few towards the end but get the last 5 right which resulted in a 96%tile Verbal. In the second one, I get 30 through 39 (10 in a row) correct but miss the last 2 which surprisingly drops my score from a 99%tile to 88%tile.

This result was surprising as it resulted in a huge drop in total overall score. The one where I got the 2 final questions wrong dropped me to a V39…had I got them correct it would have been a V 44 or 45. So, instead of the Q41, V39 (660) I would have likely got a Q41, V44/45 (710+). It was very surprising to me to see such a large delta due to only 2 questions.

Any thoughts from the experts?
Attachments

Screenshot 2014-04-12 14.43.04.png
Screenshot 2014-04-12 14.43.04.png [ 60.55 KiB | Viewed 745 times ]

Screenshot 2014-04-12 14.43.36.png
Screenshot 2014-04-12 14.43.36.png [ 86.2 KiB | Viewed 745 times ]

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Posts: 45
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 15:54
FPBULL wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies...I hope you are correct that MGMAT algo over states the importance of the last questions.
Here are screenshots of two different examples from my MGMAT CAT experience.

In the first one i miss a few towards the end but get the last 5 right which resulted in a 96%tile Verbal. In the second one, I get 30 through 39 (10 in a row) correct but miss the last 2 which surprisingly drops my score from a 99%tile to 88%tile.

This result was surprising as it resulted in a huge drop in total overall score. The one where I got the 2 final questions wrong dropped me to a V39…had I got them correct it would have been a V 44 or 45. So, instead of the Q41, V39 (660) I would have likely got a Q41, V44/45 (710+). It was very surprising to me to see such a large delta due to only 2 questions.

Any thoughts from the experts?


You and I are in almost near identical situations (I actually just took MGMAT5 also :P). One thing interesting... in both of your screenshots above, the final question accounted for either +5% or -5%. That has the potential to gain or lose you 2 raw points by itself, and I'm pretty sure that is not the case on the real GMAT.
_________________

MGMAT1 - 650 (Q44, V35)
MGMAT2 - 670 (Q42, V39)
MGMAT3 - 640 (Q44, V34)
MGMAT4 - 630 (Q41, V35)
GMATPrep1 - 720 (Q48, V40)
GMATPrep2 - 720 (Q48, V41)
MGMAT5 - 690 (Q45, V39)
GMATPrep3 - 700 (Q47, V39)
GMATPrep4 - 710 (Q49, V38) Got one less question wrong than on my V41, but for some reason got a V38!

Goal: 740 (Q49, V42)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 16:16
jtyee thats funny. Nice job on your GMATprep CATS…I'm sure you will hit your goal. if you don't mind me asking, what were your section scores on the test above? I have pretty much got a Q42 every time with a variable V score. I haven't taken a GMAT prep since I began my Manhattan GMAT prep, but we are pretty similar on the MGMAT scores.

I am taking a GMATprep CAT tomorrow and have the actual test next Thursday….I'll keep you posted.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Posts: 45
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 16:39
FPBULL wrote:
jtyee thats funny. Nice job on your GMATprep CATS…I'm sure you will hit your goal. if you don't mind me asking, what were your section scores on the test above? I have pretty much got a Q42 every time with a variable V score. I haven't taken a GMAT prep since I began my Manhattan GMAT prep, but we are pretty similar on the MGMAT scores.

I am taking a GMATprep CAT tomorrow and have the actual test next Thursday….I'll keep you posted.


Hey man, I just updated my signature with that information. And the GMATPrep scores, specifically your Quant, should be a nice confidence booster for you going into G-day. Are you taking the GMAT this Thursday the 17th, or the following Thursday the 24th? I'm taking mine on the 24th :)
_________________

MGMAT1 - 650 (Q44, V35)
MGMAT2 - 670 (Q42, V39)
MGMAT3 - 640 (Q44, V34)
MGMAT4 - 630 (Q41, V35)
GMATPrep1 - 720 (Q48, V40)
GMATPrep2 - 720 (Q48, V41)
MGMAT5 - 690 (Q45, V39)
GMATPrep3 - 700 (Q47, V39)
GMATPrep4 - 710 (Q49, V38) Got one less question wrong than on my V41, but for some reason got a V38!

Goal: 740 (Q49, V42)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 07:09
Nice! yeah that is a confidence booster. I take the actual GMAT on the 17th. I am taking a GMATprep CAT today...i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks man and good luck.

here are my scores so far:
KAPLAN CAT1: 630 (Q46, V33)
GMATprep 1: 650 (Q40, V40)
MGMAT CAT1: 710 (Q42, V43)
GMATprep 2: 690 (Q42, V42)
MGMAT CAT2: 640 (Q42, V36) (didn't study Verbal for a month :( ]
MGMAT CAT3: 660 (Q41, V39) (this is the one where I missed the last two and dropped to 39 :?: ]
GMATprep 3: TBD tonight...this is the last one that I am going to take. I want to have some resources left for a retake.
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 184
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 12

Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 07:21
Expert's post
Good luck on the GMAT prep!! If you want some extra polish for the last few days the GMAT Prep Verbal Question Bank is a great document to work through. For Quant the GMAT Focus quizzes are helpful. The GMAT Focus software has excellent questions and is very close to the real thing (except shorter).

Happy Studies,

A.
_________________

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 15:38
Thanks Mr. Grau. Just finished GMATprep 3. 700 (Q 45, V 40). I think once I review this one tomorrow, I am done until test day. Needed this confidence booster!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Posts: 45
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 17:57
FPBULL wrote:
Thanks Mr. Grau. Just finished GMATprep 3. 700 (Q 45, V 40). I think once I review this one tomorrow, I am done until test day. Needed this confidence booster!


So happy for you man, you're gonna do great on Thursday. Keep us updated!
_________________

MGMAT1 - 650 (Q44, V35)
MGMAT2 - 670 (Q42, V39)
MGMAT3 - 640 (Q44, V34)
MGMAT4 - 630 (Q41, V35)
GMATPrep1 - 720 (Q48, V40)
GMATPrep2 - 720 (Q48, V41)
MGMAT5 - 690 (Q45, V39)
GMATPrep3 - 700 (Q47, V39)
GMATPrep4 - 710 (Q49, V38) Got one less question wrong than on my V41, but for some reason got a V38!

Goal: 740 (Q49, V42)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 15:28
Just finished the GMAT! 710 (Q46, V41) with an IR of 8. Good to have this one in the bag...I'll try to post a debrief this weekend. Thanks for the help everyone.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2013
Posts: 45
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 17:20
FPBULL wrote:
Just finished the GMAT! 710 (Q46, V41) with an IR of 8. Good to have this one in the bag...I'll try to post a debrief this weekend. Thanks for the help everyone.


Congrats, and thanks for the encouragement heading into my own GMAT next thursday :)
_________________

MGMAT1 - 650 (Q44, V35)
MGMAT2 - 670 (Q42, V39)
MGMAT3 - 640 (Q44, V34)
MGMAT4 - 630 (Q41, V35)
GMATPrep1 - 720 (Q48, V40)
GMATPrep2 - 720 (Q48, V41)
MGMAT5 - 690 (Q45, V39)
GMATPrep3 - 700 (Q47, V39)
GMATPrep4 - 710 (Q49, V38) Got one less question wrong than on my V41, but for some reason got a V38!

Goal: 740 (Q49, V42)

Re: MGMAT verbal scoring error?   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2014, 17:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
680 - Score Error in Verbal? athulr 1 29 Jun 2013, 13:48
MGMAT Error Log GMATBLACKBELT720 3 08 Jun 2010, 13:12
Experts publish their posts in the topic MGMAT Number Properites Error? nplaneta 4 25 May 2010, 20:13
MGMAT CAT Verbal scoring ko 5 08 Jun 2008, 15:05
Verbal score on MGMAT test Futuristic 12 02 Sep 2006, 20:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MGMAT verbal scoring error?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.