Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MGMAT vs powerccore - confusing explanations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
MGMAT vs powerccore - confusing explanations [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 02:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:28) wrong based on 1 sessions
Hi,
Have just finished both MGMAT verbal and Powerscore verbal. Came across some strak contrasts that have confused me :
- MGMAT says posessive nouns are poor antecedants but a posessive noun can only take a posessive pronoun
- powerscore posessive nouns should NEVER be used as an antecedant
Also, powerscore mentions that it is not important to understand the difference between which and that. while MGMAT stresses on the difference in terms of essential and non essential modifiers.. Pl explain . Thanks

Some Questions am confused about are

Q1: Upon hearing of the chairman's illness, the committee motioned to postpone their next meeting until after he was released from the hospital

A Question as is
B to postpone its next meeting until after he was released
C to postpone their next meeting until after they were released
D to postpone its next meeting until after each was released

the Answer, is B. and the options too do not cover a better choice, but in the problem isn't chairman's a posessive noun? and since it is should the correct answer be reworded as to postpone its next meeting until after HIS release. His being a posessive pronoun

Q2. The distance between the 2 runners, which is over 50 meters cannot be made up with only 3 laps to go in the race
A -do-
B The distance between the 2 runners, who is over 50 meters
C The distance between the 2 runners, whom is over 50 meters
D The distance between the 2 runners, that is over 50 meters
E The distance between the 2 runners, whoever is 50 meters

The correct Answer is A. though I agree am a bit confused on why not that, given that which an only modify a noun immediately b4 it, in this case runners thus seeming incorrect. we should use that because we are modifying the clause "the distance .."
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 195 [1] , given: 10

Re: MGMAT vs powerccore - confusing explanations [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 23:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I addressed the first question in your other post--your concern is justified. On the issue of which vs. that, I'd agree that this issue doesn't come up much on the test. We cover it in our materials, but I don't think any of us would argue that it is essential to your GMAT success. :)

In your example, "that" would be incorrect because the modifier is non-essential. Also, changing "which" to "that" doesn't eliminate the touch rule problem. "That" should ideally touch the noun it's modifying, too. Otherwise, we end up with something like this:

My painting of the dog that appeared in the museum was a success.

What appeared in the museum? The painting or the dog? Here, "which" would actually work better:

My painting of the dog, which appeared in the museum, was a success.

In this case, the "which" modifier must not modify "dog." We are adding a non-essential modifier to the entire subject--"My painting of the dog." Similarly, in your example, it is the entire subject--"The distance between the 2 runners"--that we are modifying. For more on this, take a look at Chapter 12 of our SC guide (in the Advanced section). We have a section titled "Modifiers: Exceptions to the Touch Rule." (pg. 234-235)

I hope this helps!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: MGMAT vs powerccore - confusing explanations   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2011, 23:27