Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Michigan or Cornell w/ $$$

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Michigan or Cornell w/ $$$ [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 19:44
Hi,

First, I want to acknowledge that I know how lucky I am for being accepted by both schools. They are great schools and I can't express how thankful I am. They both have amazing student body, great resource and beautiful campus. Here's the situation that I need your help:

I was accepted by Ross with no money while Johnson gave me $30K/year scholarship. I was initially ready to go to Ross until Cornell's scholarship news today. Since I plan to work in London upon graduation, some people suggested that I go with Cornell because of its name in Europe while others told me that I should stick with Ross because of its MBA ranking (though I personally don't think top 10, 15, 20 make any difference)....

Many many thanks for reading this post.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Michigan or Cornell w/ $$$ [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 03:54
longwait wrote:
Hi,

First, I want to acknowledge that I know how lucky I am for being accepted by both schools. They are great schools and I can't express how thankful I am. They both have amazing student body, great resource and beautiful campus. Here's the situation that I need your help:

I was accepted by Ross with no money while Johnson gave me $30K/year scholarship. I was initially ready to go to Ross until Cornell's scholarship news today. Since I plan to work in London upon graduation, some people suggested that I go with Cornell because of its name in Europe while others told me that I should stick with Ross because of its MBA ranking (though I personally don't think top 10, 15, 20 make any difference)....

Many many thanks for reading this post.

If it was Harvard or Stanford, then I think the ranking difference would be meaningful, but in this case I'm not so sure.

If I was you, I would decide based on: (a) Your career goals: which one will give you a better network in your desired field? (b) Reputation: do people who don't obsess over rankings and other details (like us GC folks) perceive a difference in the b-schools? Or will they just hear Michigan and Cornell? (c) Cost: $60K isn't anything to sneeze at. I think many people who have completed their MBA would tell you that the debt is a bigger deal than you think beforehand. (d) Most importantly, fit: what does your gut tell you after having visited?

My vote is Cornell w/ $$$ hands down. But I'm going to Cornell, so I'm not unbiased :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Michigan or Cornell w/ $$$ [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 04:37
longwait,

Congratulation on admits to both fine BSchools, what a lovely choice you have to make. You haven't mentioned your post MBA function/sector goals. There isn't that much difference in terms of ranking, students between R and C to ignore $30K a year. It is very generous of C and you won't have to take loan and pay it back. Take the money and go to C for a great education. What Ross can do, Cornell can do as well with $.

Are you US or British applicant? I think the alumni network of both Ross and Johnson are really thin in Europe. Ross takes 2% Euros in its class and Johnson 3%. You are nowhere in strong alumni territory of CBS, W or Booth.
Re: Michigan or Cornell w/ $$$   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2011, 04:37