Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Michigan Ross vs. Washington Foster

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I attend Washington Foster ($$) or Michigan Ross?

• 13% [3]
  • 86% [19]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Michigan Ross vs. Washington Foster [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 12:19
Hi all,

I am considering UW Foster (with $$) and Michigan Ross (0 funding). I'm interested in the following areas post-MBA, in descending order: consulting, sustainability/energy, general management. I'd like to find a position in the NW after graduating. If I went to Ross I'd probably accrue around $60k (+interest) more in loans than if I went to Foster. Foster's smaller class size is a double-edged sword as the school's alum base is much smaller than Ross'. It also doesn't seem that any Foster alums have made it into top or even near-top consulting firms. That being said, I would probably stand out more in my class at Foster while I may be an average student at Ross given the strength of the admitted students. Is anyone else out there facing a similar/identical dilemma? The prospect of being able to pay off my loans in less than 2 years is extremely enticing but Ross may put me in the best position for long-term success.

Last edited by goericgo on 23 Apr 2012, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Michigan Ross vs. Washington Foster [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 02:05
I will take Ross over Foster personally. But then again it depends on your ability to fully fund your studies and mainly your preference and where you will like to work in the future.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Michigan Ross vs. Washington Foster [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 07:40
Don't know much about Foster. But, here is the thing- keep that $$ from Foster at the bottom of your deciding factors.

Go to both schools, do your research on the industry and function you will seek your career in. Look at recruitment statistics, ask career services for details and specifics, ask to be introduced to alumni to discuss their career path, look at how the program, professors, environment prepares you for that career success.

The $$ or the lack of it won't help you with your career, neither will it hinder your career success. You are doing the MBA for that reason alone, not be any less indebted than you are now. If the later was the case, you are better off not doing an MBA at all, aren't you?

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Michigan Ross vs. Washington Foster [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 08:50
I think the added recruiting potential at Ross makes Ross the clear winner. I dont believe top consulting firms (MBB)recruit at Foster. The average starting salary deferential between these two schools puts the break-even paypack at around 3 years when taking into consideration finances but the opportunity to get a higher paying summer internship reduces the difference as well.

Check the employment report for both schools, imo Ross is the clear winner for your career goals.
Re: Michigan Ross vs. Washington Foster   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2012, 08:50