Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MiF Rotterdam vs IE vs HEC Paris vs LSE [#permalink]
If LSE is out, and tuition is not an issue, your choice should be HEC vs IE. Still a tough choice. Actually I thought you could do a double degree with many other schools at HEC and that it was not restricted to three specific ones. From there, if I were you, I'll try to reach to current and former students of each program. If you are 21, I think a double degree could be beneficial.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am also keen on making a double degree to be honest. However, it seems that the most relevant double degree at the HEC is the MBA-MiF double degree. I think you need to apply specifically for that double degree (which I haven't done) and therefore will not be able to select such double degree.

The double degree at Tsinghua is, as far as I could understand, a 2 year of pure finance, and I'm not entirely sure what's the added-value. I would tend to think that a Management+Finance double degree is much more interesting than a Finace+Finance one. There is also a real-estate double degree (so-called "GREM") which does seem interesting.

I must say lately that I was more convinced by HEC Paris (mostly because of how it tackles finance in general and how the program is structured). Moreover, I also think HEC Paris has a stronger brand value than IE (I had never heard of IE before looking at FT ranking, whereas HEC is definitely a famous school)

IE has an interesting double degree in management+finance, but the only problem is that it starts in February 2016. I'm not sure I could get an internship by then (and not sure I could get it for the period of time of interest)

Do you have further advices or comments? What kind of questions should I ask to alumni?

Best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Hey Zacross,

I am interested in the same programs! Would you mind sharing your profile?

I was in Rotterdam for exchange this fall and met quite a few finance master guys at the uni, they were satisfied but were spending most of their lectures in lecture halls of several hundred people, quite crazy to me..

And the IE master, even though it would be great for me to go there and develop my spanish skills, I am worried that the career possibilities are worse than both HEC and RSM.. Whats your thought on that?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm sorry I forgot to answer your message ErasmusWasHere!

So just so that you know, I eventually got an offer from LSE too. In total I applied to 7 schools: LSE, HEC Paris, Rotterdam Erasmus School, IE (Madrid), MIT: Sloan, Boston Carroll and Oxford Said.
I received offers from HEC Paris, LSE (for the Finance program), Rotterdam and IE. I also got an interview online from Boston Carroll but I never did the actual interview so I don't know whether I'd have got the final offer. However, I got almost immediately refused by Oxford and MIT.

Regarding my profile, here is a quick snapshot of my "achievements":

I got 730 at the GMAT but my quantitative part was a bit disappointing (68th percentile) whereas I got an outstanding verbal part (96th percentile) which gave me such a high overall score. I did not have to pass the TOELF because I studied my Bachelor in English so I can't help you there

I am studying at Maastricht University (the school of business and economics, fairly recognized internationally) and I have a GPA of 8.5/10. Moreover I've got several experiences such as a gap year in Peru, a semester abroad in Brazil, two internships (accounting & commercial banking) and a work experience as a tutor of math/stat (employed by my own university as "proof of excellence"). I'm fluent in Spanish, French, English and soon in Portuguese + I have basics in Dutch.

I hope this helps you :) Feel free to ask more questions
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hei Zacross! I also applied for the master in finance at IE ESADE and HEC! I do not have decided yet where to go. In the end where did you decide to study? Can I ask you to share your experience? Thank you for your help :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I ended up chosing to go to HEC Paris.

Let's be straight: academically, I am EXTREMELY disappointed by the HEC. The courses are badly structured and I don't feel I learn anything. You spend your days sitting on your ass (20-25h of mandatory lectures a week) and honestly it feels like an utter waste of time. There is a huge lack of organisation overall and the campus is not very well taken care of (coffee machine broken since the beginning of the year, food isn't really good, etc). Professors are very knowledgeable, that's a fact. However, some of them are really poor "teachers" and their courses are messy. Overall there is also a lack of modernization in the campus (no plugs in most rooms, so much for taking notes on your laptop when you have a 8.00 to 18.00 day of classes). There are SO MANY little irritating things in the daily life here. If I had to do it again, I would most likely go to the LSE.
If you want to learn something, I would not advise you to go to HEC.

HOWEVER I have to admit one thing. HEC Paris' main goal is to get you a job. I'm 2 months into classes and I've got a summer offer already at a bulge bracket bank. The career service is good and they get their **** done. Eventually what truly matters is getting a job (or at least that's what I try to convince myself with since I'm so disappointed about the academic side of the university). A lot of people got summers/full time offers already. So yeah...

Anyway I think placement-wise, the LSE is just as good, and I would assume it is better academically. I can't pronounce myself for ESADE or IE.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thank you for your reply!! Anyway I did not have the possibility to do an interview at HEC (which is odd as I got 720 GMAT and a strong gpa). I will choose between ESADE and IE. Thank you anyways and have a good time :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
MiF Rotterdam vs IE vs HEC Paris vs LSE [#permalink]
ESADE and IE course prices are criminal. Avoid them and I recommend to go either to LSE (which is worth the price) or RSM (priced at a decent price).
All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Also, no way in the world is IE better than RSM. Maybe they have a better ranking on FT but overall the economy is doing much better and people actually speak English.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts