Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Military applicant in UK, 2 years out - request evaluati [#permalink]
RonMexico wrote:
Dear Mr. Truthringer, et.al.,

If you would be kind enough, would you please take a look at my tersely written profile and answer a question or four regarding my candidacy.....

US Naval Academy 2000, History, 3.27 GPA (Roughly a 3.7 GPA last two years - had a bad freshman run with chemistry classes.)

US Naval War College, M.A. National Security and Strategic Affairs, 4.0 GPA (Finalist for top student)

730 GMAT - over 80% on both (2 years ago)

29yo - First in family to attend college - Mexican American and fluent Spanish Speaker.

Active duty Navy fighter pilot - done a few trips bombing Iraq from aircraft carriers with a few medals to boot. Also served as a aircraft tactics instructor, have led over 70 sailors, managed a multi-million dollar training contract, spent a few months in a team that wrote the allied master air attack plan.

Currently assigned as an exchange fighter pilot with the British Royal Air Force - I live in the UK, fly their squadron jets and lead their pilots into action over Iraq.

My extracurriculars have included teaching Mexican immigrants English (alone), coordinating trips to visit sick children with the squadron, and a few other random acts of volunteering. Sadly, no major leadership positions - a good deal of my time was spent on aircraft carriers, and I really have yet to settle down here in the United Kingdom and do anything besides fly, deploy and drink ale.

I would like to enter into consulting or IB - I feel that part of the MBA experience will be to sway me towards the better fit (although I probably will not say as much in any essay).

With that abstract out of the way, I have four questions:

1. I will not be able to leave the service until early 2010 - the military owns your soul for a while if you fly jets. is there much that should be done now regarding my candidacy? Will age be a major factor?
2. Is there anything I can (or should) do to compensate for my modest GPA? Will my Masters factor at all? Might post-bac. business classes here in the UK be in order?
3. I hate to "game" community service, because all I have done so far has been accomplished totally oblivious to the context of an academic application. That being said, is it warranted to bolster my extracirriculars further? I am assuming my love of Rugby, existentialist literature and the aforementioned ale will not help my cause....
4. What schools do YOU think I should shoot for - I would like to do the H/S/W trifecta with Columbia to boot.

I avidly look forward to reading your opinion, Sir.

Use protection ROn
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Military applicant in UK, 2 years out - request evaluati [#permalink]