Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:37

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

military background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

military background [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2007, 09:19
I did a search for military guys going to MBA's and didn't turn up much.

Anyone have/had experience going from military officer to a top tier b-school?

Background:

I'm a West Point grad
Mechanical Engineer, 3.4 (3.7 in major)
GMAT: 700

I've got a couple of different jobs in logistics and some other stuff and fly helicopters.

All these people asking about their profiles have crazy extracuricullar activities. I don't know what that's about. I had some in college, but work kind of takes up a lot of time now. Don't know if that really hurts my application or not, but I guess I could try to cram some stuff in during my last year before application, when I get back from Iraq.

Anyway, if there's someone that could give me some advice on applications out of the Army, that'd great
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2007, 12:14
See if the schools you're interested in have veterans clubs. Wharton def. has one and they will bend over backwards to help you out- they'll even help you out during the admissions process. Not only are they helpful for admissions, but they can give you insight into the school and the recruiting process for us military guys.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2007, 12:33
Extra curriculars are nice to have but they wont keep you out if someone wants you. I dont do anything beyond hobbies because of work and the fact I have been renovating my house for the last few years. I am proof that you dont have to have to sit on the board of a major non-profit to get in. I got into kellogg which everyone says is very into extra curriculars despite my lack of organized activities post college. No one will hold it against you if you have been in Iraq or whatever. You just need to play to your strengths.

I have met veterans at ever school I have visited, and there are several active duty navy people where I work who have gone to top schools. Schools also love academy grads...just make sure you can play up your teamwork skills not just your leadership since they know you are going to be a leader.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2007, 03:06
That's good to hear. I have talked to the Vet club at Harvard and gotten a lot of good feedback. I just wasn't really prepared for some of these resume's on here mentioning so many things people do in their free time. Even when I was home, I golfed some, went to church, but I wasn't saving Africa in my free time.
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2007, 14:21
Yes a number of veterans asks about this. Veterans get much more of a pass on extracurriculars since their primary occupation deals with service -- also much more difficult to be involved consistently when you have to move often.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: military background [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 20:35
This post received
KUDOS
Being in the military I can echo the difficulty in maintaining a consistency in extra-curriculars. Here's an idea of the workload an "average" military officer can expect over a 5-year career:

Year 1: Initial entry-training and high operational tempo deployment training
Year 2: Combat tour in Iraq/Afghanistan
Year 3: Return and immediately begin more high operational tempo deployment training
Year 4: Another combat tour in Iraq/Afghanistan
Year 5: Return, decompress and transition out of the military