Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Military looking to break into Investment Management [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mamurray13 wrote:
Background:
25 year old white male
4 year Army Logistics officer upon matriculation
710 GMAT Q50 V36
3.11 Marketing degree from large state school. 4 year ROTC scholarship. Good grades in all courses B-schools value (i.e. calculus, finance, statistics) lower grades in non-major requirements (history, english, biology)

I have always had a passion for investing and read investing books in my spare time. Planning on studying for the CFA upon acceptance into a good program for knowledge and to make me more competitive.

I would like some advice as to which schools I have a realistic shot at and would help me break into IM. These are the schools I was considering so far:

Reach (plan on applying to two, maybe three):
Columbia
Tuck
Kellogg
Booth

Realistic (plan on applying to three or four):
Darden
Ross
Johnson
Fuqua
UNC

Feel free to add schools or recommend schools from this list. Thank you in advance!

Your path is definitely a popular one so that is a good start. That said, now you need to start to think about developing the right influential story. Some military applicants I have worked with have done things outside the military that makes their goals more realistic. What else do you do that would add to your profile.

Those applicants without relevant who do make more of a transition generally leverage the military experience to demonstrate leadership skills. They also directly mention aspects of your future job that would require learnings from your experience.

I would be happy to talk with you about how I can personally help you with your applications. I recommend applying to a mix of schools and we could discuss further as I learn more about your background.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com
www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Thanks for your replies!

I have talked to officers currently in business school and it sounds like most of them pitched the idea of 'using consulting as a way to gain experience in order to transition into (insert field),' but upon entering business school have decided to go into different fields such as IB or even technology. I have actually contemplated using consulting as a way to transition, but I know that is not really what I want to do. I want to go into investment management right out of school (if possible) and know that my essays and reasons for attending school would be more authentic if I talked about what I am truly passionate about.

Like most military officers, I have a fair amount of leadership experience. I have been deployed to Afghanistan while leading 35 Soldiers and I currently control the workflow/ priorities for all maintenance operations in my unit of 135 Soldiers. Yes, all of this leads back to logistics and management..

As far as extracurriculars, I have been pretty active through college and my military career. I haven't been able to do anything really big (like start a non-profit) but I have contributed to my communities (volunteering, mentoring.) I have also participated in intermural sports through college and on post, being named team captain for all teams. I have also run marathons with proceeds going to charities.

Yesterday, I was actually named as the Vice-chairman of my county's Disaster Relief Fund being in charge of all investment decisions for the fund, upon approval from the board, of course. This is a relatively new fund, so I won't be managing huge amounts of money.

Please let me know your thoughts on everything. If I really need to use consulting as a pitch to get in somewhere then so be it, but I don't want to sound ingenuine. Also, what are your thoughts on if I have a realistic shot at getting into IM right out of school? Which schools do you think would be best? Do I have a reasonable shot at getting into them?
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Hi there,

Thanks for your service and happy belated July 4th!

Below are my two cents and a few thoughts as you start down this path:
- when you say "IM", that can be a bit broad so apologies in advance if I'm misunderstanding exactly what you mean. Overall, try to be a more specific for the adcom. What exactly do you enjoy? Investing in a certain industry, asset class, etc? What would be your goals for that industry - any special ideas you have? Find some "dream job" postings and/or people on LinkedIn with your "dream job" and use that as a launch pad to start developing your vision for your career. Of course you can also talk to people as well, which is often easier than trying to read online. The reason I say this is because many traditional IM jobs don't actually care as much about an MBA as they prefer the CFA (I worked briefly for Merrill Lynch Investment Managers before it was acquired by Blackrock and they were happy to pay for all of the CFA prep and exams but certainly not MBA and they didn't recruit strongly out of MBA programs; so that's my context). So that said, be sure that where you are shooting for is actually a recruiter of MBAs in some way, shape or form and that the role you are seeking is something you use an MBA for (eg. involves management, strategy etc and not purely technicals).
- your GMAT and GPA are a little lower for some of the schools on your list, but there are plenty of ways to mitigate that (GPA is the easiest to mitigate in my experience). Explore extra courses, start working on the CFA right now, point to aspects of your military training and career that are more reflective of your classroom performance, etc.
- Consulting to IM seems like a stretch to me. I wouldn't go there for many reasons; one of which is that EVERYONE says they want to go into consulting. Focus your efforts on developing your vision for how you'll impact IM, why you want to go into that field, and what skills you need to develop through your MBA to get there. Again, use LinkedIn and other resources to determine what realistic post-MBA IM jobs are (eg. ones that wouldn't require specific pre-MBA experience, for example).
- Military experience is a huge plus! After working with military candidates, my biggest advice is to make sure you are being heard and understood (eg. eliminate jargon that the average civilian won't understand). This may seem like an easy task but don't take it for granted. Last year I had a client who came to me after having been dinged at two schools just outside the top 10 during Round 1. When I looked through this materials, I was afraid that the adcom probably had a hard time truly understanding what he had done, how impressive it was, and how that could be transferrable to business school. We spent a ton of time rewording and restructuring how he described his experience and goals, and he ended-up getting into a top 5 school round 2 (Kellogg!). Who knows what the real sway was, but I would put a bet on it being the fact that it was hard to understand how impressive he truly was in his first round apps. So, I tell this story just as something to look out for.

My firm offers a discount for U.S. military if you're ever interested in working with someone as you starting getting your apps together, and we have a free 30-min consult where I'm happy to expand upon what I noted above too if you like.

Best of luck!

Kindly,
Meredith
GMAT Club Bot