Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Military Profile - 321 GRE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Military Profile - 321 GRE [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 19:09
29/w/m
*3.2/4.0 from a top 30. History Major, Geophysics minor
*Varsity Lacrosse, ROTC
*GRE: 321 (161 V, 160 Q). On the ETS converter that comes to a 680 GMAT

Work Experience : 7 Years Navy SEAL Officer. 5 Deployments to date with combat.
-Consistent leadership in a variety of austere and high profile locations.
-Senior level coordination within DOD
-Excellent lessons learned in terms of personnel management
-Task Unit commander in charge of $25M in equipment overseas.

Extra Curricular: Involved heavily in several charity foundations and recruiting campaigns in support of the SEAL community.
-Repeated visitor to my Alma Mater as a speaker on Leadership for the Athletic Department.
-Lead food drives at work
-Volunteered at a multitude of events for the Wounded Warrior Foundation.

Hobbies:
-Reading
-Lacrosse
-Soccer
-Golf

Future goals:
I love the experience of leading people and I have a passion for working within small teams. I also feel as if the driving economic forces of today's global environment are the most significant. While I think I could find reasonable employment within the private sector, I am looking for a management role. General Management seems like a great fit for me.
My decision to take the GRE is likely to be an issue. I chose to take it because I want to remain competitive for several of the fellowships offered in the service. Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School among others only accepts the GRE.

Summary: I feel I can articulate my leadership experience and I actively stay in touch with fellow members of my community who are now in business school. I also feel that my essays will have tangible examples of what I think ADCOMs are looking for. I will not be making a move to business school for a few years but I have spent some time getting to know the process. I will likely retake the GRE to get to the 90-92% percentile. Given what I have to work with now though, how do I look for the following schools?

HBS
Wharton
Tuck
Darden
Fuqua
Johnson
Owen

Regards,
Duff
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Military Profile - 321 GRE [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 14:51
Expert's post
Duff wrote:
29/w/m
*3.2/4.0 from a top 30. History Major, Geophysics minor
*Varsity Lacrosse, ROTC
*GRE: 321 (161 V, 160 Q). On the ETS converter that comes to a 680 GMAT

Work Experience : 7 Years Navy SEAL Officer. 5 Deployments to date with combat.
-Consistent leadership in a variety of austere and high profile locations.
-Senior level coordination within DOD
-Excellent lessons learned in terms of personnel management
-Task Unit commander in charge of $25M in equipment overseas.

Extra Curricular: Involved heavily in several charity foundations and recruiting campaigns in support of the SEAL community.
-Repeated visitor to my Alma Mater as a speaker on Leadership for the Athletic Department.
-Lead food drives at work
-Volunteered at a multitude of events for the Wounded Warrior Foundation.

Hobbies:
-Reading
-Lacrosse
-Soccer
-Golf

Future goals:
I love the experience of leading people and I have a passion for working within small teams. I also feel as if the driving economic forces of today's global environment are the most significant. While I think I could find reasonable employment within the private sector, I am looking for a management role. General Management seems like a great fit for me.
My decision to take the GRE is likely to be an issue. I chose to take it because I want to remain competitive for several of the fellowships offered in the service. Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School among others only accepts the GRE.

Summary: I feel I can articulate my leadership experience and I actively stay in touch with fellow members of my community who are now in business school. I also feel that my essays will have tangible examples of what I think ADCOMs are looking for. I will not be making a move to business school for a few years but I have spent some time getting to know the process. I will likely retake the GRE to get to the 90-92% percentile. Given what I have to work with now though, how do I look for the following schools?

HBS
Wharton
Tuck
Darden
Fuqua
Johnson
Owen

Regards,
Duff

Hey, Duff. I answered your question here.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Military Profile - 321 GRE [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 09:50
Thanks, Jennifer!

I understand age will be a significant factor. I will definitely be staying in for two more years to spend some time with my wife and family after years of deployments. I think I will be 30 when I apply, 31 when I arrive on campus. Do you think that will still bring down my candidacy even though it's early 30s? I know HBS likes them young so that's not a surprise at all.

Thank you for your candid advice. How to you think the same profile looks with a GRE of 325?

Thanks again!
Duff
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Military Profile - 321 GRE [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 12:07
Expert's post
Duff wrote:
Thanks, Jennifer!

I understand age will be a significant factor. I will definitely be staying in for two more years to spend some time with my wife and family after years of deployments. I think I will be 30 when I apply, 31 when I arrive on campus. Do you think that will still bring down my candidacy even though it's early 30s? I know HBS likes them young so that's not a surprise at all.

Thank you for your candid advice. How to you think the same profile looks with a GRE of 325?

Thanks again!
Duff

Because you will be post-military, your age will be more acceptable - you'll be up against a bunch of other older post-military applicants who will all be around your age. The 325 GRE compares to around a 700-710, so yes, it will be a much stronger element of your application then.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog