Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mind Blowing School Visits to Top 8

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
9 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [9] , given: 15

Mind Blowing School Visits to Top 8 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I went to visit the schools a few months ago and here are my thoughts on each school, in the order visited. Would totally love to hear how other school visits went.

Berkeley: everyone was pretty down to earth, and I can definitely see myself being friends with the students.

Stanford: I felt that everyone was very chill yet super smart, which is I think is rare combo to find. The level of discussion in the classes were unpretentious and no one is trying to show off but you definitely can tell, just by the way folks spoke, that they were very educated and smart.

Wharton: another school where I felt the students were very smart but they were not as relaxed as the Stanford kids. Maybe it was the East Coast culture (I'm from West Coast), but I felt that the students were a little more cutthroat. I say this as a completely neutral comment; not a bad or good thing, but just what I felt. An interesting thing that I don't think I would've discovered unless I visited the school was the party culture. The student panel alluded to the social scene many times, and my friend who currently goes there say everyone just parties.

Columbia: I found that the student body was a good blend of laid-back students and gunners (aka alpha females/males). A lot of students talked about how they picked Columbia because they felt like they could make friends at the school. Combined with the awesome location of being in NY, I really liked Columbia.

HBS: very formal; when the instructor introduced us as the class visitors, the whole class gave us a standing ovation. So very well mannered students. Definite difference between HBS and GSB students, so you'll have to decide which one you like. I hear most folks only get into one and very rare get into both any lol.

MIT: first school to provide lunch to all visitors :). Then we got into small discussion groups for Q&A sessions with each student. By far, most participation by current students out of all of the schools we visited, which I appreciated that they'd give their time to prospective applicants like that. Their info sessions and what they told us was that MIT is very collaborative, and even though I didn't have enough time to see whether that was true or not, everything that happened on my visit day definitely made me feel like there's a environment there that would support such a claim.

That's all I got! Didn't go up to Tuck or visit the Chicago duo, so if anyone has any comments from their school visit, definitely chime in.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Accounting (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Mind Blowing School Visits to Top 8 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 07:55
That is so cool that you got to visit all these amazing schools! I wish I had the same opportunity, best of luck on your applications!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Mind Blowing School Visits to Top 8 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 15:16
I am attending Cornell this fall, but can definitely give a perspective on Tuck, which I also visited.

I went to Tuck's DivCo weekend last year and Tuck is an amazing area. Here are a few of the highlights.

Location: definitely hard to get to, I flew to Boston, and took a 3 hr bus ride over. The bus is about the same price as the flight for me. Great surroundings, small town, and in November it was getting a bit chilly.

Experience: the weekend was an awesome program of academic previews (you can sit in on a class), meeting students, faculty, and alums, hearing from alum and company speakers about their connection with Tuck, and going to student events, parties, and dinners. If you get a chance to attend DivCo, it is unlike any other conference because the focus is really on getting you immersed in the student programming and experience.

I document my journey on the application trail here at 3hrMBAapp.weebly.
Re: Mind Blowing School Visits to Top 8   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2013, 15:16