Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minimum Quant and Verbal for Total Score > 600

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Minimum Quant and Verbal for Total Score > 600 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 20:54
Hi, I'm wondering if I want to achieve total GMAT score above 600 (it doesn't have to be greater than 650):
1. What would be the combinations of the safe minimum Quant and Verbal correct answers?
2. What would be the combinations of the safe minimum Quant and Verbal scores?

Thanks so much for the information!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 106

CAT Tests
Re: Minimum Quant and Verbal for Total Score > 600 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 23:52
stewartlife wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if I want to achieve total GMAT score above 600 (it doesn't have to be greater than 650):
1. What would be the combinations of the safe minimum Quant and Verbal correct answers?
2. What would be the combinations of the safe minimum Quant and Verbal scores?

Thanks so much for the information!

Check the score matrix below:
gmat-scores-83890.html

what is so special about 600-650 ?

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 158 [2] , given: 8

Re: Minimum Quant and Verbal for Total Score > 600 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 23:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

There are many possible combinations of quant and verbal scores that will yield a 600 or higher. If you are fairly balanced between quant and verbal, you might aim for a 40 or higher in quant and a 33 or higher in verbal. Although that verbal score seems much lower, it actually represents a higher percentile score than the 40 in quant, in part because there is more competition on the quant side. Note that these are on the low end--to be safe, you would want to aim somewhat higher. Naturally, if you are much stronger in one subject, you can underperform on the other, although some schools may consider your subscores in addition to your overall test score.

As to the number correct, because the GMAT is a computer adaptive test, it's not possible to predict a score based on the number correct/incorrect. Most test-takers will miss about 40% of the questions. Naturally, it's great (but practically impossible) to get all the questions right, and it's not so great (and also fairly difficult) to miss them all. However, two people with the same number of missed problems might have drastically different scores, depending on *which* problems they missed. You get rewarded more for getting hard problems right, and penalized more for missing easy problems. You also get *no* credit for answering experimental questions correctly, and you won't know which these are. You will also receive an additional penalty for timing out at the end and leaving questions unanswered.

So what's the best response to all of this? See how close you are to your score goal, and then work on improving your content knowledge, problem-solving process, and time management. Don't worry so much about the number of problems you are getting right, especially since this is something you can't directly control. Just focus on getting more problems correct without overinvesting time and effort on any one problem. If a problem is too tough to do in 2 minutes, let it go!

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can shed any more light on your specific situation. Good luck!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: Minimum Quant and Verbal for Total Score > 600 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 03:33
DmitryFarber, thanks so much for the detailed reply.

ConnectTheDots, thanks for the link. My target score for my business school application is >600, and hopefully >650. I know it's not high compared to many people here, but it's high enough for me.
Re: Minimum Quant and Verbal for Total Score > 600   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2013, 03:33