Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minimum time to stay at a job pre-MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Minimum time to stay at a job pre-MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2013, 07:09
Hey everyone,

What would you say is the minimum time to stay at a job if the job is “good” and if “things are going well”?

Say we're talking about a senior analyst / pre-MBA Associate job and a person in his/her mid-20s.

I know that it depends on what industry you're in and what the gap is between “your outside option” and your current position. But what is the general rule of thumb?

How long should you have been in a job before another hiring manager or B-school Adcom can take your experience from that job into account? Before it really adds value to your CV?

12 months? 18 months? 24 months?

Would “bachelor’s degree → 24 months at company A → 18 months at company B → 18 months at company C → MBA” be considered a “Job Hopper CV”?
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 157 [1] , given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Minimum time to stay at a job pre-MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2013, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
yoko182 wrote:
Hey everyone,

What would you say is the minimum time to stay at a job if the job is “good” and if “things are going well”?

Say we're talking about a senior analyst / pre-MBA Associate job and a person in his/her mid-20s.

I know that it depends on what industry you're in and what the gap is between “your outside option” and your current position. But what is the general rule of thumb?

How long should you have been in a job before another hiring manager or B-school Adcom can take your experience from that job into account? Before it really adds value to your CV?

12 months? 18 months? 24 months?

Would “bachelor’s degree → 24 months at company A → 18 months at company B → 18 months at company C → MBA” be considered a “Job Hopper CV”?

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. To be honest your time line above doesn't strike me as someone who is a job-hopper. Especially if you have moved for promotions, more responsibility, career progression. If you work at company C for 18 months before matriculating, I don't see that as an issue at all.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-10-2014
GPA: 3.98
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 31

CAT Tests
Re: Minimum time to stay at a job pre-MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 09:34
If the job is “good” and if “things are going well” the general rule of thumb is to stay at least two years. First year for you to learn everything and go through the complete yearlong cycle. Second year for you to take the initiative, to show that you were hired for a reason, and to see how much improvement you make compared to year one. Third year (possibly depending on specific situation) to show leadership skills and add value to the company (more than what you have to do as part of your job responsibilities).

I don't believe jumping from one company to the other would be considered a "job hopper". You need to be careful, however, not to change jobs too often, and have reasonable explanations of your decisions.

If you learn to do things that you need to do - then someday - you can do things that you want to do.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Minimum time to stay at a job pre-MBA? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 04:46
Hi Dear,
Don't take fast decision for job in any conditions if job profile is good and your interest in it then minimum 24 months stay is best for future because many companies are count the stability
in job ..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Minimum time to stay at a job pre-MBA? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 05:29
I think this is a good approach.
i m totally stranger and i wanna discus on this topic if any body is online so please reply me i m waiting.
i appreciated you.
Thanks for sharing this information.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Minimum time to stay at a job pre-MBA? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 10:17
Expert's post
There is no formula of work experience that will get you to an MBA. Everyone has their own path based on type of role, responsibilities given or seeking, industry, the economy, etc.

For the most part, you don't want to change jobs every 3-6 months if you have a full time job (stick it out for 6 months to a year and see how it goes) and you should be building on skills/ experience with each subsequent position.

Most MBA programs have average work experience at 5-6 years post-college. You may find you need that amount of time before an MBA makes sense for you, or less, or more.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Minimum time to stay at a job pre-MBA?   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2014, 10:17